Re: [Simple] Comments on draft-thomson-simple-cont-presence-val-req-00

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Sun, 16 November 2008 21:29 UTC

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:27:49 -0600
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: simple@ietf.org, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@andrew.com>
Subject: Re: [Simple] Comments on draft-thomson-simple-cont-presence-val-req-00
Sender: simple-bounces@ietf.org

I second what Cullen has to say about the quality of the document --
this is very well written, and you have clearly put a lot of thought
into it. It is an excellent basis for a requirements document for the
filtering work in GEOPRIV, regardless of whether I am ultimately
successful in convincing you of the appropriateness of presence for your
application.

I'm also quite pleased to see that you've internalized the preponderance
of the points I attempted to make in our earlier discussions on the
issue. However, you appear to have what I believe are a couple of
lingering misconceptions about the potential behavior that filters can
exhibit. These are most vividly expressed in sections 4.3 and 4.4.

In particular, the document reflects a belief that the filter framework
has inherent limitations that make it appropriate only for discrete
properties. Key examples of this misconception are conveyed in the text:

> The hard, boolean nature of a filter is not tolerant of variation in
> quality.
and:

> If filter documents are used as a medium for communicating watcher
> preferences, the watcher could set a filter that only selects highly
> accurate information, which could inadvertently suppress all
> notifications.

As in our previous conversations, I suspect you have confused cause with
effect. There is nothing inherent in the filter framework that imposes
or implies such limitations. What you are observing is a consequence of
the fact that event packages so far have all been composed exclusively
of discrete values -- not the *reason* that they have.

When GEOPRIV sets off to define the filter extensions that relate to
location, they may elect to define them to have the useless (or, at
best, infuriatingly limited) properties you describe in these excerpts.
I will repeat my earlier advice on this topic: don't.

You are far more studied in the nature of the information a watcher
would want to convey regarding the quality of information it receives
from an LIS, so I won't even try to come up with an example of the
parameters that need to be conveyed. However, if you can give an example
of what a watcher would want to say, I'll happily format it into a
plausible syntax for a filter, and provide the narrative that explains
the semantics.

/a