Re: [Simple] SIMPLE and OMA and 3Gpp and RCS and… (new subject)

"Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net> Thu, 01 November 2012 21:13 UTC

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 22:13:05 +0100
To: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
Cc: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>, "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, " simple@ietf.org" <simple@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Simple] SIMPLE and OMA and 3Gpp and RCS and… (new subject)

1 nov 2012 kl. 21:08 skrev Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>:

> Murray was the liaison person to the OMA from the IETF side. Murray recently discontinued his participation in the OMA (due to a job change). We discussed the need to appoint a new liaison person in the IAB and came to the conclusion that no new appointment is necessary; the required need to interact with the OMA had decreased over time.
>
> Does anyone on this list believe that there is a need for cooperation with the OMA?

For me, it is too early to answer. I'm just trying to assemble information about how we ended up where we are with all these organizations working with SIMPLE, not contributing back and leaving the IETF with huge gaps and a set of specs that seems uncomplete and not focused on developers being able to produce running interoperable code.

I have no insights in the politics at that time, so I have no insight into why OMA produced all these documents without trying to feed them back to the IETF.

My opinion on OMA cooperation is that if we can kick off work in this group to complete and/or correct IETF simple into an interoperable state for buddy lists and Xcap, and we see a need for using OMA documents within the IETF we can revisit your question and produce an answer.

Any other opinions?

/O