Re: [Simple] SIMPLE and OMA and 3Gpp and RCS and… (new subject)

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <saul@ag-projects.com> Fri, 02 November 2012 08:49 UTC

From: Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <saul@ag-projects.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 09:49:03 +0100
To: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net>
Cc: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>, "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, " simple@ietf.org" <simple@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Simple] SIMPLE and OMA and 3Gpp and RCS and… (new subject)

Hi Olle,

On Nov 1, 2012, at 10:13 PM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> 1 nov 2012 kl. 21:08 skrev Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>:
>
>> Murray was the liaison person to the OMA from the IETF side. Murray recently discontinued his participation in the OMA (due to a job change). We discussed the need to appoint a new liaison person in the IAB and came to the conclusion that no new appointment is necessary; the required need to interact with the OMA had decreased over time.
>>
>> Does anyone on this list believe that there is a need for cooperation with the OMA?
>
> For me, it is too early to answer. I'm just trying to assemble information about how we ended up where we are with all these organizations working with SIMPLE, not contributing back and leaving the IETF with huge gaps and a set of specs that seems uncomplete and not focused on developers being able to produce running interoperable code.
>
> I have no insights in the politics at that time, so I have no insight into why OMA produced all these documents without trying to feed them back to the IETF.
>
> My opinion on OMA cooperation is that if we can kick off work in this group to complete and/or correct IETF simple into an interoperable state for buddy lists and Xcap, and we see a need for using OMA documents within the IETF we can revisit your question and produce an answer.

OMA has its own set of documents, and some of the stuff they specified is interesting and useful, for example the support for external references in pres-rules. If we have external references in pres-rules we can create a template and then any operation is performed just in the resource-lists document, which then avoids any atomicity related problem. There are downsides, however:

  - They define their own AUID 'org.openmobilealliance.pres-rules', so managing policy for the same AoR must be done with the same kind of devices: either all pure-IETF or pure-OMA, but if you mix them, which document should the server look at? Right now all Open Source SIP server that I know of treat both documents the same, which is wrong, different AUIDs shouldn't override each other. FWIW, I'm in the process of fixing this in OpenSIPS.

  - Having a oma pres-rules document which just points to a resource-lists document means that we can no longer get the policy for a watcher by just looking at pre-rules. This makes me think that we need a single document to store a buddy-list, which also contains the  policy for each buddy.

Regards,

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects