Re: [sip-clf] Defining Pros and Cons of ASCII/IPFIX

Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com> Tue, 09 November 2010 11:34 UTC

From: Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 08:18:13 +0800
To: Peter Musgrave <peter.musgrave@magorcorp.com>
Cc: List SIP-CLF Mailing <sip-clf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sip-clf] Defining Pros and Cons of ASCII/IPFIX

I believe in de Toquville.  History repeats itself, and I see it repeating...

What will happen in SIPCLF is a repeat of H.248.

Since we cannot agree, we will agree to do both ASCII and binary (IPFIX).

Binary will be theoretically more efficient than ASCII.

Binary will be theoretically more useful for service providers.

ASCII, like the Internet, will work well enough for everyone.

Binary will die a quick death in the marketplace.

Personally, I am tired of arguing. Let us say we will do both, and the market will winnow things down to a single format.  I may be proved wrong, and that single format will be IPFIX.  Fine with me: so long as we end up with a single format, I will be happy.

That said, just ask Cullen: I have a strong track record on betting on IETF protocols.  I am willing to put USD 50 that within three years there will be one and only one format, and that format will be ASCII.  Any takers?