Re: [sip-clf] Defining Pros and Cons of ASCII/IPFIX

Dan Burnett <dburnett@voxeo.com> Mon, 08 November 2010 10:50 UTC

From: Dan Burnett <dburnett@voxeo.com>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 18:51:57 +0800
Cc: List SIP-CLF Mailing <sip-clf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sip-clf] Defining Pros and Cons of ASCII/IPFIX

+1.  Sometimes during standards work it is clear that either
1) all but perhaps a few folks/organizations agree on a particular approach, meaning that in the world of implementations the minority need to just join the party, or
2) most folks/organizations don't care at all and will just implement whatever the majority wants.

In our case neither is true.  As Hadriel points out we have two sizeable and vocal groups with different use cases and customer bases.  Each is likely to ignore the proposal that does not satisfy their constituents.  I suspect that if we had had two different groups - one to create a text standard and one to create a binary standard - that we would already today have both completed and widely adopted.  The only important requirement here is that any content in either format can be mapped to the other and back with no loss of information.

-- dan