Re: [Sip] Last Call comments on 2543bis-07

Allison Mankin <mankin@isi.edu> Tue, 05 February 2002 16:56 UTC

To: William Marshall <wtm@research.att.com>
cc: Brian.Rosen@marconi.com, rsparks@dynamicsoft.com, sip@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Sip] Last Call comments on 2543bis-07
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 11:27:40 -0500
From: Allison Mankin <mankin@isi.edu>
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

Folks,

Bill Marshall wrote:

> As I understand the procedures and concerns, a normative
> references to draft-tsvarea-sipchange would hold
> bis in the RFC Editor's queue, which would delay the actual
> publication of bis as an RFC.  It would not delay the assigning
> of an RFC number, which is what 3GPP wants on March 7.
>
> I'm not at all clear on how the RFC Editor will handle
> non-normative references to internet-drafts, like [30]
> SIP telephony call flow examples.  If publication as an
> RFC "freezes" the text, then they may hold it in the queue
> for this, too.  But again, it won't delay the assignment
> of an RFC number for 3GPP.

The early RFC number procedure from RFC Editor is a favor, and
we would not like to push it by having normative references to i-ds
in there when we send them the approved bis i-d.

This is something that I'm planning to review with the chairs and
editors before 08.

As Scott says, we can* probably word a reference to the tsvarea-
sipchange draft to be non-normative.

Bill continued:
> The specific text in bis-07 leading to this discussion is
> regarding option tags that MUST be defined in standards-
> track RFCs.  There is no reason that needs to be a normative
> reference.  It actually falls into the category of "untestable"
> uses of spec language.  It would best be left out.

I have some trouble agreeing that option tag extensibility rules
can't be made testable.

What would your reaction be to registering headers that IETF has
not published in standard track or will not publish (such as the
Electronic Surveillance ones you mention) in an x- category?

Allison