RE: [Sip] Last Call comments on 2543bis-07

William Marshall <wtm@research.att.com> Tue, 05 February 2002 16:21 UTC

From: William Marshall <wtm@research.att.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 10:54:20 -0500
To: Brian.Rosen@marconi.com
Cc: rsparks@dynamicsoft.com, sip@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sip] Last Call comments on 2543bis-07
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

Brian,

As I understand the procedures and concerns, a normative
references to draft-tsvarea-sipchange would hold
bis in the RFC Editor's queue, which would delay the actual
publication of bis as an RFC.  It would not delay the assigning
of an RFC number, which is what 3GPP wants on March 7.

I'm not at all clear on how the RFC Editor will handle
non-normative references to internet-drafts, like [30]
SIP telephony call flow examples.  If publication as an
RFC "freezes" the text, then they may hold it in the queue
for this, too.  But again, it won't delay the assignment
of an RFC number for 3GPP.

The specific text in bis-07 leading to this discussion is
regarding option tags that MUST be defined in standards-
track RFCs.  There is no reason that needs to be a normative
reference.  It actually falls into the category of "untestable"
uses of spec language.  It would best be left out.

Bill Marshall
wtm@research.att.com