Re: Comments on draft-camarillo-mmusic-sip-isup-bcp-00.txt

Chip Sharp <chsharp@cisco.com> Fri, 19 November 1999 15:54 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:49:24 -0500
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se>
From: Chip Sharp <chsharp@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Comments on draft-camarillo-mmusic-sip-isup-bcp-00.txt
Cc: sip@lists.research.bell-labs.com
Sender: owner-sip@lists.research.bell-labs.com

At 04:44 PM 11/19/99 +0200, Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We are talking about several problems, all related to overlap
>signalling.
>
>First of all, this is what draft-camarillo-mmusic-sip-isup-bcp-00.txt
>says in the chapter 7.1 about this. This is the chapter that has to
>contain the solution that is found to be the best.
...snip...
>The problem of a user typing # :
>In the States 'en-bloc' signalling is used, so this is not needed. In
>Europe, the use of 'en-bloc' signalling is becoming more and more common
>due to the use of mobiles (in Finland there are more mobiles than fixed
>phones).

FWIW,
When dialing international calls from the US, the user usually must either
enter "#" or wait for a timeout for the call to be completed.  In most
countries I have travelled in, I have found that entering "#" to terminate
"dialing" at least does no harm.  Sometimes it speeds up post dial delay by
a couple of seconds.

> [...]
> > something that happens to have a phone number as its name, it will have
> > to know enough to reject each INVITE until it gets one with a request
> > URI/To field that matches its own number. This, BTW, is normal behavior.
> > A UAS rejects an INVITE if the URI is for an address thats not its own.
> >
> > 4. This works *even* if there is misordering of re-INVITEs. The egress
> > gateway computes the SAMs based on differentials. So, lets say it
> > receives the INVITE with 1555, then the INVITE with 155512. It then
> > sends two SAMs, the first with 1, the next with 2. Lets say, then, that
> > the INVITE with 15551 comes. Based on CSeq, the egress gateway knows its
> > old and rejects it.
> >
> > 5. The ingress gateway doesn't depend on special messages or a
> > completion character, like #, to send an INVITE.
> >
> > Its very possible I've completely missed something, as I'm hardly an
> > ISUP expert. Perhaps there is additional data in SAM such that it MUST
> > be sent across, rather than being regenerated. But, the above solution
> > seems nice, as it doesn't break anything, works with non-ISUP
> > terminating points, doesn't require users to dial a # at the end of the
> > digit string, etc.
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> > -Jonathan R.
> >
> > Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
> > >
> > > It is nicer to send complete URIs in the "to" header. If the i-gateway
> > > sends the INVITE before receiveing all the digits, the "to" header is
> > > not complete. It would contain just a few digits of the whole telephone
> > > number (this assumes that with just some digits the i-gateway figures
> > > out where to send the INVITE).
> > >
> > > Gonzalo

> the case
> not accept
> abortive

> then send
> "pure" SIP
> the called
> (draft-roach-mmusic-sip-pstn-require-header-00.txt). If
> could

> MS L-04
> 75081 USA
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
> > > Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
> > > Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 31 18
> > > FIN-02420 Jorvas          Email :  Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com
> > > Finland
> >
> > --
> > Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
> > Chief Scientist                             Suite 120
> > dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
> > jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
> > http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
> > http://www.dynamicsoft.com
>
>--
>Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
>Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
>Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 31 18

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.