RE: [Sip] draft-jennings-sip-hashcash-01

"Francois Audet" <audet@nortel.com> Mon, 28 February 2005 19:29 UTC

From: Francois Audet <audet@nortel.com>
To: 'Cullen Jennings' <fluffy@cisco.com>, "'sip@ietf.org'" <sip@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Sip] draft-jennings-sip-hashcash-01
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:26:01 -0500
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

Yeah, a white list approach might work.

The practical scenario that I am thinking about is with a typical VoIP
service provider.

Today, the vast majority of calls from subscribers terminate on gateways
(owned by the operator of the service).  These calls are not to a specific
"user" but really to a gateway, using presumably something like the
tel-URI-in-SIP-URI approach. In this case then, the white list is not to a
whole URI but to "something" that is related to the gateway itself. This is
different from the IM-scenario you quote.

Now, if we only have to worry about one set of gateways (like the ones owned
by the service provider), I guess you could base the white list on the
domain name or find some other solution. It may be more difficult when
gateways are scattered all over the place (like in an enterprise for
example, or a federation of enterprise, or when it terminates to another
service provider).

I believe we should make sure that we describe white list properly before we
publish the puzzle mechanism. I have a fear that we could define something
where the people who make the SIP end-devices have an incentive to do
something that is good for them (i.e., limit vulnerability to spam) but
could be very problematic for the Gateways (or Proxies). Somehow we have to
be able to mandate a white list capabily (or some other mechanism).
Otherwise software upgrades could kill the operator of the service.

PS: Note that this is a recurring problem with gateways (I think certs has
the same issue).