RE: [Sipping] Text support in SIP phones

"Drage, Keith (Keith)" <drage@lucent.com> Tue, 10 June 2003 13:20 UTC

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <drage@lucent.com>
To: 'Henry Sinnreich' <Henry.Sinnreich@mci.com>, 'Gunn ar Hellström' <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>, "'Sipping@Ietf. Org'" <sipping@ietf.org>, "'Sipforum-Discussion@Lists. Su. Se'" <sipforum-discussion@lists.su.se>
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Text support in SIP phones
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:14:04 +0100
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

I would suggest that treating these sort of things as MUST strength is best left to national regulatory requirements, along with other things like fitness for purpose and so on. I have no objection to their being mentioned. By the way, I understood this document was being progressed as authors individual submission, and was therefore not standards track.

Any such MUST would surely need to be qualified anyway. If the purpose of the devise is such that it renders a textual devise irrelevant, then why require one to be fitted. Suppose we were designing a SIP phone for the totally blind, and this was designed to be worn as a headset, a text device would be irrelevant to such a user, and positioning such a device where it could be seen would require an extra box hanging out of the side of the product.

regards

Keith

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies