SV: [Sipforum-discussion] RE: [Sipping] Text support in SIP phones

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Fri, 13 June 2003 13:41 UTC

From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
To: Henry Sinnreich <Henry.Sinnreich@mci.com>, "'Drage, Keith (Keith)'" <drage@lucent.com>, "'Sipping@Ietf. Org'" <sipping@ietf.org>, "'Sipforum-Discussion@Lists. Su. Se'" <sipforum-discussion@lists.su.se>
Subject: SV: [Sipforum-discussion] RE: [Sipping] Text support in SIP phones
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:41:48 +0200
Sender: sipping-admin@ietf.org

I agree that this discussion starts to get balance into the specification of
the real time text conversation feature.

Firstly, I have discovered that I need to explain again that what we talk
about is a real time, character by character transmission and display of
text. You can see the thought as it is growing and being formed into text.
It is a very direct way to have contact, and once you have used it, you
realize that in some applications it is essential to have access to this
feature. It has the same immediate flow as audio in voice telephony and
video in video telephony.

In fact, there is a name for the three media together, it is called Total
Conversation.

It is true that the force behind defining it has come from the needs of
people with communication related disabilities. But I am sure that once
commonly implemented, it will become a natural and popular feature that is
often used during voice calls between most users.

Instant messaging is also a very handy service. But it goes message by
message, and therefore does not have the direct touch as the real time
conversational service in voice, text and video has.

We have a forerunner in the specification of media for the SIP based IP
Multimedia phone in 3GPP. Maybe we can pick the same style of specification.
In 3GPP TS 26.235, "Packet switched conversational multimedia applications,
default codecs", it is specified among the enumeration of supported media:

6.3	Real time text
3G PS multimedia terminals offering real time text conversation should
support ITU-T Recommendation T.140 [25] Text Conversation presentation
coding.

And in the chapter on RTP payload, it is specified:

9.2	RTP payload
RTP payload formats specified by IETF shall be used for real time media
streams.
RTP payload format for the AMR narrowband speech codec is specified in annex
B.
RTP payload format for the AMR wideband speech codec is specified in annex
B.
RTP payload format for the ITU-T Recommendation H.263 [6] video codec is
specified in IETF RFC 2429 [3].
RTP payload format for the MPEG-4 visual simple profile level 0 is specified
in IETF RFC 3016 [5].
RTP payload format for the ITU-T Recommendation T.140 [25] text conversation
coding is specified in IETF RFC 2793 [24].

In the annex A on specific details, the following is specified for text:

A.3	Text
Use of the redundancy coding variant specified in RFC 2793 [24] is
recommended for error resilience.

--------------------------------
When this topic was handled in 3GPP, there was opposition against mentioning
the reason for introducing the text feature as being something specific for
disabled people.

I think that is still valid.

I suggest that the following formulation is used:
**************************************
SIP-zz, digital text support: SIP telephone devices SHOULD support real time
text conversation.
If text is supported, it MUST support RFC2793 [y], for text coding and
packetization, and it MUST be possible to use text simultaneously with
voice.

Gunnar
Gunnar Hellström, Omnitor, Renathvägen 2
SE 121 37 Johanneshov, SWEDEN
Tel: +46 8 556 002 03  Mob: +46 708204288
e-mail: gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se
web: www.omnitor.se