Re: [siprec] Adoption of material fromdraft-ram-siprec-metadata-format-02

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Mon, 20 June 2011 18:47 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <eckelcu@cisco.com>, "siprec@ietf.org" <siprec@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:47:29 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [siprec] Adoption of material fromdraft-ram-siprec-metadata-format-02

Charles,

I don't recall whether we discussed non-SIP means for transporting metadata. We certainly discussed transmitting it separately from INVITE/UPDATE, and concluded that in most cases metadata changes would coincide with SDP updates, and therefore other SIP methods (such as INFO) would be less efficient.

By having a separate channel (HTTP) for metadata, there is the issue of synchronizing it with SDP updates. Certainly that would be achievable, but does it make the solution unnecessarily complicated?

XML document transport in SIP messages is certainly nothing new.

Furthermore, we have had only this one draft on metadata format/transport for several months. As the only candidate, we seemed to have reached, by default, a situation where it is only a question of when we adopt it, not if. So any other solution would require a draft very quickly, so that we can compare and contrast.

John