Re: [Softwires] GI-DS-lite as working group item?

<mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com> Wed, 19 May 2010 07:52 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com
To: "Lee, Yiu" <Yiu_Lee@Cable.Comcast.com>, Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 09:48:16 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] GI-DS-lite as working group item?

Hi Yiu,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Lee, Yiu [mailto:Yiu_Lee@Cable.Comcast.com]
Envoyé : mardi 18 mai 2010 21:58
À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed NCPI/NAD/TIP; Sri Gundavelli
Cc : softwires@ietf.org
Objet : Re: [Softwires] GI-DS-lite as working group item?

Hi Med,

I think we are on the same page. So your concern is the current draft didn't
limit to the scale to 3gpp. IMHO, this draft suggests a way to use a
tunnel-id to identify the client in AFTR. In this context, this doesn't
limit the scale to 3gpp only. In theory any client using tunnel may use it
(e.g. PPP). I don't now why IETF wants to limit it to 3gpp based deployment.

Med: This is why I asked for a big picture view rather than a single solution. Please refer to my previous messages, I included links to http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miles-behave-l2nat-00 or http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arkko-dual-stack-extra-lite-00 for instance which are generic solutions. Should we define a generic table structure for all enhanced NAT tables?

I don't see how this draft to suggest a centralized NAT. Can you show me any
part in the draft may have suggested that?

Med: This is the main argument of the draft: unavailability of sufficient private IPv4 addresses to service all UEs behind a CGN. The valid scenario for GI-DS-Lite is case (c) below which is a centralised model IMHO:
(a) Co-located model: the NAT is co-located in the PGW/GGSN. No issue with private IPv4 addresses. GTP TID can be used as de-multiplexing factor if required.
(b) 1:1 model: the CGN and the PGW/GGSN are not embedded in the same device. Each PGW/GGSN is configured how to reach its attached CGN. There is no private IPv4 @ depletion problem.
(c) N:1 model: a single CGN serve a group of PGW/GGSN. Indeed, having +16M of customers is a valid case (centralised model)

Does this make sense for you?

Yes, if an operator wants to use
a giant NAT, this draft won't stop it. But this draft doesn't suggest it
either. Like what you said, this is deployment issue, not the spec enforcing
it.

As far as proposing IPv6, I agree the draft can put more words on it. I will
try to work with the authors off-line to suggest some text to them.

Med: Hope to see there how Gi-DS-lite is a "migration" tool for IPv6.

Cheers,
Yiu