Re: [Softwires] GI-DS-lite as working group item?

Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com> Tue, 11 May 2010 23:26 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 16:26:24 -0700
From: Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com>
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Cc: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>, BINET David NCPI/NAD/TIP <david.binet@orange-ftgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] GI-DS-lite as working group item?

Hi Joel,

On 5/11/10 3:25 PM, "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> wrote:

> I am somewhat confused by this description.
> You seem to be saying that the primary need for gi-ds-lite is mobile.
> But the MIP related working groups don't seem to be asking for it.  And
> while 3GPP expressed interest in DS-Lite, from what I can gather they
> have not expressed particular interest in gi-ds-lite.

The primary consumer for Mobile IP protocols is 3GPP. There are various
interfaces that 3GPP architecture supports, that includes GTP, MIPv6 and
Proxy Mobile IPv6 based protocol interfaces. The IPv6 migration issues for
mobile architectures are generic across these protocols. The 3GPP had a
study item that identified the issues for IPv6 migration and that is
specified in 3GPP TR 23.975. The solution documented in GI-DS-lite are other
approaches that were considered are also listed in that document.

> Usually, we make sure there is a problem before crafting a solution.
> Was there a problem statement that I missed?

Agree. 3GPP TR 23.975 is a good starting point.

Regards
Sri

> [...]
>> routing actions are not sufficient in all configuration and in all
>> deployment models.
>>
>> There is no restriction that the gateway should not handle more 16M
>> subscribers. Its about the platform scaling.
>>

>>> (3) The structure of the enhanced NAT table?: Other proposals are on the
>>> table
>>> such as Layer-2 Aware NAT
>>> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miles-behave-l2nat-00) or Per-interface
>>> NAT
>>> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arkko-dual-stack-extra-lite-00). Should we
>>> define a generic table structure for all enhanced NAT?
>>>
>>> The document does not define the problem to be solved and neither why a new
>>> solution is required. Is the targeted problem a valid problem to be solved?
>>> Please find below my analysis on the mobile use case. Several scenarios can
>>> be
>>> envisaged as listed below:
>>>
>>> (a) Co-located model: the NAT is co-located in the PGW/GGSN. No issue with
>>> private IPv4 addresses. GTP TID can even be used a de-multiplexing factor if
>>> required.
>>>

>> Sure, collocated model is fine. If it works for a deployment, that is fine.
>> You don't need additional tools. However, in deployments where the operator
>> prefers to keep IPv6-only in the core network (SGi) and in the EPC core, the
>> gateway is not running IPv4, in that case the CGN tunnel in the GI-DS-lite's
>> allows the gateway to forward UE's IPv4 packets. The side affect being,
>> there is no need to partition the public address space across gateways, and
>> solves the IPv4 exhaust problem. Is that not a benefit ?
>>

>>> (b) 1:1 model: the CGN and the PGW/GGSN are not embedded in the same device.
>>> Each PGW/GGSN is configured how to reach its attached CGN. There is no
>>> private
>>> IPv4 @ depletion problem.
>>>

>> Many assumption here. You would require a tunnel, if the CGN and the gateway
>> are separated by an IP network beyond one hop and that network can be
>> IPv6-only.
>>

>>> (c) N:1 model: a single CGN serve a group of PGW/GGSN. Indeed, having +16M
>>> of
>>> customers is a valid case. **BUT** which Service Provider will accept to
>>> service this huge amount of UEs with the same node (if we suppose that a
>>> mega
>>> centralised CGN implementation is found in the market)? This is single point
>>> of failure design which SHOULD NOT BE RECOMMENDED.
>>>

>> Ignoring the 16M subscriber scaling, the solution removes the operator from
>> the burden of public IPv4 address space partitioning across gateways, allows
>> IPv6 only network (EPC + Sgi) to be deployed. Is that not a goal of IPv6
>> migration ? An all IPv6 network, still allowing access to IPv4 services ?
>>

>>> Below additional comments on the proposal:
>>>
>>> * As currently documented, GI-DS-Lite can be deployed in fixed networks too.
>>> thought (since I heard this argument several times, especially in the