Re: [Softwires] GI-DS-lite as working group item?

<mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com> Fri, 07 May 2010 09:25 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com
To: Cameron Byrne <cb.list6@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 11:24:33 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>, BINET David NCPI/NAD/TIP <david.binet@orange-ftgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] GI-DS-lite as working group item?

Dear Cameron, all,

GI-DSLite does not define any protocol but an architecture where a tunnel is used together with a new enhanced NAT44 table (because more de-multiplexing information than for basic NAT44 table is required). So, what should be standardised there?

(1) The behaviour of the gateway?

(2) The tunnel establishment "procedure"? This is an operational consideration as a matter of fact. In addition, the tunnel is not required in the majority of the scenarios. Normal routing actions can be done in the gateway to redirect the traffic to the appropriate CGN. I don't see a deployment context where more that +16M UEs (or Access Devices) will be serviced by the same CGN device.

(3) The structure of the enhanced NAT table?: Other proposals are on the table such as Layer-2 Aware NAT (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miles-behave-l2nat-00) or Per-interface NAT (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arkko-dual-stack-extra-lite-00). Should we define a generic table structure for all enhanced NAT?

The document does not define the problem to be solved and neither why a new solution is required. Is the targeted problem a valid problem to be solved? Please find below my analysis on the mobile use case. Several scenarios can be envisaged as listed below:

(a) Co-located model: the NAT is co-located in the PGW/GGSN. No issue with private IPv4 addresses. GTP TID can even be used a de-multiplexing factor if required.

(b) 1:1 model: the CGN and the PGW/GGSN are not embedded in the same device. Each PGW/GGSN is configured how to reach its attached CGN. There is no private IPv4 @ depletion problem.

(c) N:1 model: a single CGN serve a group of PGW/GGSN. Indeed, having +16M of customers is a valid case. **BUT** which Service Provider will accept to service this huge amount of UEs with the same node (if we suppose that a mega centralised CGN implementation is found in the market)? This is single point of failure design which SHOULD NOT BE RECOMMENDED.

Below additional comments on the proposal:

* As currently documented, GI-DS-Lite can be deployed in fixed networks too. I thought (since I heard this argument several times, especially in the context of A+P effort) that IETF does not need any new tool for solving the IPv4 address depletion, and DS and DS-Lite are sufficient enough in fixed networks. Why GI-DS-Lite should be an exception?

* Nothing prevent the AD (Access Device) to embed a NAT function. This leads to NAT444 model. Do we want to go in that direction?

* The support of IPv6 tunnels IS NOT mandatory in GI-DS-Lite. GI-DS-Lite is a misleading terminology. The solution can be deployed in IPv4-only networks.

* Does this solution allows for an "IPv6 introduction"-friendly path? The draft says "...it allows the network between the
   access gateway and the NAT to be either IPv4 or IPv6 and provides the
   operator to migrate to IPv6 in incremental steps."

(i) What does that "migrate" really mean? For me, "migrate" means that actions are undertaken to move to an IPv6-only scheme. I could understand the rationale behind this sentence if a procedure to offload the traffic from NAT44 to NAT64 is elaborated for instance. This is not the case of GI-DS-Lite current spec.

(ii) 3GPP seems to recommend DS and IPv6-only approaches. This solution SHOULD part of that package and not defined as a standalone solution.

Technically the proposed architecture works. My concern is more about the validity of the deployment scenarios. This is why I re-iterate my proposal to adopt a big-picture approach rather than specifying one piece of the puzzle.

Please correct me if I missed something.

Cheers,
Med