Re: [Softwires] [softwire] Merged version of lightweight 4over6

Maoke <fibrib@gmail.com> Thu, 16 February 2012 02:51 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:50:33 +0900
From: Maoke <fibrib@gmail.com>
To: "Lee, Yiu" <Yiu_Lee@cable.comcast.com>
Cc: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] [softwire] Merged version of lightweight 4over6

hi Yiu,

thanks for the explanation.

2012/2/16 Lee, Yiu <Yiu_Lee@cable.comcast.com>

> Hi Maoke,
>
> For 1, it is not a ds-lite problem but a general problem for any tunneling
> protocol. Once option is the 4o6 TC passes the fragmented packets and hope
> the destination would reassemble them. This option would break the
> end-to-end model if the destination rejects fragmented packets. The current
> model in RFC6333 will not in exchange with extra CPU and buffer overhead.

got it. this point is fine. and i also mean that DS-Lite states (Sec 6.3):

   This reassembly process will significantly
   impact the AFTR's performance. However, this impact only happens
   when many clients simultaneously source large IPv4 packets. Since we
   believe that the majority of the clients will receive large IPv4
   packets (such as watching video streams) instead of sourcing large
   IPv4 packets (such as sourcing video streams), reassembly is only a
   fraction of the overall AFTR's workload.

the "since we believe" is true in the term that client/server model is
dominating the Internet usage. but the situation is changing, AFTR might
suffer a heavy burden with reassembly in the environment where p2p is
dominating. can we (actually you authors) surely state lightweight 4over6
improves this? if we can, it is a happy point. ;-)

best,
maoke