Re: [splices] Answering a Call Using Two Separate Devices proposal

"Shekh-Yusef, Rifaat (Rifaat)" <rifatyu@avaya.com> Fri, 22 April 2011 22:42 UTC

From: "Shekh-Yusef, Rifaat (Rifaat)" <rifatyu@avaya.com>
To: Peter Musgrave <peter.musgrave@magorcorp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 18:42:33 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "splices@ietf.org" <splices@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [splices] Answering a Call Using Two Separate Devices proposal

I personally think it is a reasonable user experience, but I can go either way on this.
Do other people have an opinion on this?

(or perhaps when
> the device sees an INVITE with video and no audio it knows not to alert the
> user in the usual way?)

This might be one way to address that.

> One alternative would be:
>
> When the accept on the PC results in the:
>     | REFER Refer-To: urn:sip-action:call:answer
> message from the PC to the phone does it make sense for the PC to subscribe to
> the dialog-state of the call at this point? (In fact would it hurt to have the
> coupled devices always subscribed to each other's dialog state?)

I just wanted to optimize the use of these subscriptions and avoid any unnecessary ones until it is really needed.
But in general, it seems like a reasonable approach to me.
Anybody else has some thoughts on this?

> Then when a reINVITE with video is offered the PC will receive a notification
> and it can offer the user a choice to accept the call there - with some pop-up
> and beep (or whatever). If the user accepts then it could send a REFER to the
> phone to make it offer video to the PC. (I first thought of using an INVITE
> with JOIN from PC to phone - but then the video offer comes from the PC and
> forces the phone to build a video answer based on the PCs offer - which seems
> a bad idea).

It complicates matters a little bit, but it would work.

> 2) As an aside, how does lipsync on sending and playout get handled in this
> configuration?

I have some thoughts around this, but not enough to be able to put a proposal on the table.
If you or anybody else has some thoughts on this, I would appreciate it if you can share it with us.