Re: [spring] 6man w.g. last call for <draft-ietf-6man-spring-srv6-oam>

Joel Halpern Direct <jmh.direct@joelhalpern.com> Thu, 19 December 2019 00:29 UTC

To: "Zafar Ali (zali)" <zali@cisco.com>, 6man WG <ipv6@ietf.org>, SPRING WG <spring@ietf.org>
From: Joel Halpern Direct <jmh.direct@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 19:29:01 -0500
Subject: Re: [spring] 6man w.g. last call for <draft-ietf-6man-spring-srv6-oam>

Zafar, thank you for taking steps to address my concerns.  There seem to
be several issues remaining.  I am not sure I spotted them all, as the
ones I see may be masking other issues.

[Side note to the chairs:  I have no idea how to enter a general
discussion of this sort as a pull request.  I do not understand the
desired behavior well enough to propose specific text.]

First, the draft still has as its focus "punt to the control processor".
  But "Punt to the control process" is not an external observable.  It
is not a subject for standardization.  What needs to be standardized is
the behavior to be applied to the packet, not who applies it.  Heck, if
someone implements all this logic in their fast path (or if they have
only one path and therefore can not punt anywhere) it should still be
possible to conform to whatever RFC we agree to for OAM processing.

Second, there appears to be no description of any case where the O bit
is used.  All of the examples seem to use the END.OP and END.OTP
processing instructions.  Since the O_bit definition is clear that the
upper layer protocol is NOT to be processed, what is the processing to
be performed when the O bit is set?

Related to the above, given that the O-bit definition and the END.OP /
END.OTP both over-write the S01 step, what is to happen if both are true?

Minor:
     I presume that both over-writes for the S01 step of the SRH are
intended to retain the base document "When an SRH is processed" text?
If so, given that they say they replace that step, the caveat needs to
be included.

    It looks like one side-effect of END.OP is that once could actually
establish communication (TCP or UDP) with a node by addressing it at its
END.OP SID?  (Presumably from another node inside the SR Domain?)

     Also, it looks like END.OP and END.OTP both cause termination of
the SID processing.  I believe it would be helpful to be more explicit
about this.

Yours,
Joel