Re: [Stackevo] New Version Notification for draft-hardie-path-signals-02.txt

"Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch> Mon, 08 January 2018 13:05 UTC

From: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 14:05:09 +0100
Cc: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>, Stackevo <stackevo@iab.org>, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Stackevo] New Version Notification for draft-hardie-path-signals-02.txt

For what it's worth, https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-trammell-quic-spin-01#section-7 addresses this issue in particular for the spin bit in the last two paragraphs of section 7. IMO it might make sense to mention this in the general case, and to note that the specifics of trustworthiness have to be considered separately for each signal.

> [1] Side discussion for bonus credit: In TCP, an endpoint that fails
> to observe proper sender behaviour with respect to congestion control
> can be managed in the network by terminating their TCP connections.
> End-to-end protection of the transport prevents that.

Keeping a LRU stateful flow rule to drop all packets for a five-tuple, refreshed on every packet seen, is sufficient for a forwarding middlebox to terminate a connection identifiable by five-tuple. AFAIK at least one of the famous stateless RST-emitting censorship firewalls has migrated to stateful operation along these lines, so there's at least one existence proof for stateful connection killing that scales (if you're motivated to pay for it).

Breaking the five-tuple = connection equivalency is necessary to really screw thing up. :) So, more accurately, end-to-end protection of the transport together with aggressive connection migration or multipathing prevents that.

Cheers,

Brian