Re: [storm] iSCSI version descriptors

Mallikarjun Chadalapaka <cbm@chadalapaka.com> Mon, 07 March 2011 22:12 UTC

From: Mallikarjun Chadalapaka <cbm@chadalapaka.com>
To: david.black@emc.com, storm@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 14:13:28 -0800
Subject: Re: [storm] iSCSI version descriptors

David,

In trying to determine what if any text needs to change in the consolidated
spec after this discussion, I did a re-reading of this whole thread - up to
DavidH's most recent note.   I stumbled on the following:

>  When we take out a feature in the new iSCSI consolidated draft, the
easiest
>  thing to do is allow a NotUnderstood response to the keys that negotiate
>  that feature.  This should not pose a problem for unimplemented features,
>  but it would be a behavior change.  The completely backwards-compatible
>  alternative is have the consolidated iSCSI draft list the keys used for
>  removed features and prohibit  a NotUnderstood response to those keys
>  (Reject would be an acceptable alternative response).

I do not believe the consolidated spec needs to change the current
negotiation semantics.  I suggest a third option:
1) When a feature is completely obsoleted (e.g. markers) relative to 3720,
iSCSI consolidated spec requires that the corresponding keys be negotiated
to "No" (e.g. OFMarker=No).

2) When a feature *option* is obsoleted (e.g. SPKM1 & SPKM2 for AuthMethod),
the spec does nothing special.    The existing iSCSI negotiation semantics
are comprehensive enough that two spec-compliant implementations will
negotiate to the correct result because the obsoleted options for that
feature are not offered as negotiables.

This should minimize the core protocol changes, and related impacts to
existing interop tests.

Comments are welcome.  With the fast-approaching Prague deadline, I will go
ahead with the spec'ing this option if I don't hear any disagreement on this
by this Wednesday.

Thanks.

Mallikarjun