Re: [Syslog] Document shepherd report of AD concerns

robert.horn@agfa.com Fri, 16 May 2008 16:57 UTC

To: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
From: robert.horn@agfa.com
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 12:57:31 -0400
Cc: syslog <syslog@ietf.org>, syslog-bounces@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Syslog] Document shepherd report of AD concerns
Sender: syslog-bounces@ietf.org

>[tom.petch]
> <rant>
> Fundamentally, someone else should be doing this, a policies in
> security working
> group, perhaps a spinoff from pkix or tls (which I know ekr will reject
out of
> hand:-).  We are the wrong people, IMO, to be proposing resolutions to
such
> questions; it should be being done for us by those whose primary role is
> security, not network management.
> </rant>

I wasn't part of that group, but I am part of the policy world.  It makes
sense for the syslog group to jointly with some policy people propose that
"this is a reasonable risk analysis for the use cases that drive our
protocol".  The purpose of this risk analysis is the derivation of the
underlying protocol requirements.  But then, it is just the protocol
requirements that remain normative.  The risk analysis lives on for
reviewers, so that they have context, and for future users so that they
can assess whether their real world implementation risks are significantly
different.  If the real world is different, it just means that you need to
re-assess whether syslog-tls will meet your needs, will need some extra
mitigations, or whatever.  This keeps the policy and risk assessment
portion non-normative.  So when I review something like this for policy I
want to see the analysis, but not see it become normative.

Real normative policy work does not belong in SDOs at all.  It belongs in
legislatures, regulatory groups, and business management.  I've seen far
too many efforts (past and present) where people attempt to use SDOs to
bypass the public political process.  They think that making it standard
lets them bypass the ugly and difficult problems of dealing with the
parliamentary process.  It doesn't work.  It just means that the standards
become inconsistent with laws and regulations.  That means that
implementations become inconsistent.  The SDO policy thought needs to
reflect instead the consideration "what are the range of potential
policies that will apply" and make sure that the protocol is able to
support the bulk of those policies.  The extra from the IESG seems to be
that there be some reasonable baseline policy that is a reasonable subset
of the bulk of the policies, and mandate that at least that much be
supported.

That's where I end up with the basic notion of having the various
certificate stores, some sort of certificate store management, and
protocol enforcement of certificate verification.  That leaves a baseline
mandatory policy assumption that there will be bidirectional certificate
verification within the protocol.  All the rest of policy becomes the
rules around certificate stores and store management.  Those don't belong
in syslog standard beyond the requirement that they exist somehow.  Yes, I
wish there were more agreement on the policies and the resulting needs for
stores and store management.  I can see syslog contributing it's use cases
and examples to those needs.  I don't see it incorporating them into the
standard, or being the right group to define them.

I would not divorce the policy work completely.  Most of the security
policy work in SDOs has been dealing with human identity management for
various authentication and authorization purposes.  That is a very
different application than syslog.  Those use cases do not map well onto
the automated machine logging application.

R Horn