[Syslog] MUST is for implementers, not users.

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Mon, 19 May 2008 01:00 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: 'syslog' <syslog@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 21:00:12 -0400
Subject: [Syslog] MUST is for implementers, not users.
Sender: syslog-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

speaking as a contributor ...

I do not believe we should be trying to standardize policy. Policy is
a deployment issue, not an implementation issue.

Our goal should be to provide a mandatory-to-implement mechanism that
operators can enable if desired to protect their messages.

Whether the mechanism is enabled or disabled by default is a decision
that operator/purchasers should discuss with the implemeter/vendors.
It should not be a requirement of the protocol, or the IESG.

There are multiple environments that use syslog. I do not think it is
important to solve the security of syslog messages for environments
where there is no knowledgeable operator. If the operator of a SOHO
device is not clueful enough to cut-and-paste a fingerprint, I doubt
they are clueful enough (or motivated enough) to interpret system
logs.

I think the OpSec WG is a much better place to discuss policies and
best current practices for logging, including default security
settings.

This WG should focus only on the mandatory-to-implement security
mechanisms to make it possible for users to address, in a stndardized
manner, security issues in system logging. MUST is for implementers,
not users.

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net
ietfdbh@comcast.net