Re: [Syslog] Document shepherd report of AD concerns

"tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com> Fri, 16 May 2008 15:42 UTC

From: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
To: Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com, ietfdbh@comcast.net, syslog <syslog@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:37:24 +0200
Subject: Re: [Syslog] Document shepherd report of AD concerns
Sender: syslog-bounces@ietf.org

Thanks for that, it does allay my concerns (back in November, I got the
impression we were being discouraged from making suggestions and one of my
suggestions, close to the last post on -11, was for self-signed certs with
finger prints:-)

I would go for self-signed cert with finger prints as the minimum acceptable,
with full PKI and leap of faith as the others to mention, essentially as drafted
in -12.

But I do think that -12 gives the wrong impression, that the full
weight of PKI, or self-generating certificates, must be born by whoever is
writing the syslog daemon:-)  That I think is wrong.  Rather, if the box has
PKI, well and good, use it, it will be there for other applications too.  And,
as David has suggested, the box will most likely be initially configured by a
standalone laptop and that will be the one doing the generating, or provision of
the trust anchors, again not just for syslog.

For me, this new material belongs in 5 not 4.  I think 4 as it was in -11 lays
down what an implementor of syslog should do, and that the additional material
belongs in 5, as policy, important to consider but the concern of another (part
of the) organisation.

<rant>
Fundamentally, someone else should be doing this, a policies in security working
group, perhaps a spinoff from pkix or tls (which I know ekr will reject out of
hand:-).  We are the wrong people, IMO, to be proposing resolutions to such
questions; it should be being done for us by those whose primary role is
security, not network management.
</rant>

Finally, Rainer, as ever, is doing a grand job of keeping our feet on the
ground, what is realistic, but, at the time of rchartering, there were three
others who said they would implement this.  I would love to hear their thoughts
on these very implementation-oriented issues.

Tom Petch