Re: [tcmtf] Support to create the working group for TCM-TF

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Tue, 06 August 2013 16:35 UTC

From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 09:33:43 -0700
To: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
Cc: 'Wesley Eddy' <wes@mti-systems.com>, tcmtf@ietf.org, 'Spencer Dawkins' <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com>, martin.stiemerling@neclab.eu
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Support to create the working group for TCM-TF

Hi, Jose,

First, I encourage you to revisit the logic in your slides presented last year regarding your primary rationale (at that time) for being in TSV - i.e., that TCM-TF has endpoint state, and E2E belongs in transport. That's simply incorrect; there are many protocols with state and endpoints, and E2E principles should be applied throughout the IETF.

Second, I encourage you to revise your docs and charter to be more clear about the goals of your work in terms of what you intend to create vs. use/configure, e.g., a tunnel, stateful compression, etc.

Finally, I encourage you to explore SEAL more carefully as a tunnel mechanism. It incorporates most of what we have learned about how NOT to do tunnels, much better than any other IETF or de-facto tunnel mechanism (*especially* GRE, FWIW).

In the future, I sincerely hope that the scope of a BOF will be an active area of discussion at the time new multi-area work is introduced. This is NOT the sole purview of the ADs.

Joe