Re: [tcpm] poll for adoption of draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-timestamps-03

Mark Allman <mallman@icir.org> Tue, 30 March 2010 03:06 UTC

To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
From: Mark Allman <mallman@icir.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:06:53 -0400
Sender: mallman@icir.org
Cc: Christian Huitema <huitema@microsoft.com>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>, Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [tcpm] poll for adoption of draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-timestamps-03

Catching up, I will chime in with three things ...

  - It still seems to me like we have pretty well converged that the
    draft's value is in terms of the TIME_WAIT truncation scheme.

  - My own opinion is that the draft can simply say "this scheme works
    best with monotonically increasing timestamps" and leave it at
    that.

    I.e., it isn't a strict requirement because the fall-back is just
    what we have without timestamps and if it were a strict requirement
    we'd have to think about flags and such.

    I.e., TCP implementers are smart folks who don't need RFC pages to
    define for them how to generate a monotonic sequence of timestamps
    and so my view is that doing so is useless detail.

  - I agree with Joe's note below that this discussion has led to an
    evolved understanding of the issues and what will be in the draft
    and it'd be nice to see either (a) a new draft from Fernando that we
    can adopt or at least (b) an outline from the chairs that sketches
    a WG document and its major components that can then be filled in by
    some editor.

allman