Re: Re IP over Satellite

Hans Kruse <hkruse1@ohiou.edu> Tue, 16 June 1998 18:34 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:34:31 -0400
To: John Border <border@hns.com>, tcppep@lerc.nasa.gov, tcp-over-satellite@achtung.sp.trw.com
From: Hans Kruse <hkruse1@ohiou.edu>
Subject: Re: Re IP over Satellite
Sender: owner-tcppep@lerc.nasa.gov

At 12:14 -0400 6/16/98, John Border wrote:
>    This is really sketchy.  I am basically fishing here.  I didn't find
>anything at the IETF web site...

I can offer three suggestions as to what to look at.

(1) ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpsat-stand-mech-04.txt

this is a draft document that spells out that TCP does work on GEOs, what
TCP settings limit performance, and how to make TCP work "better" over
GEOs, such as faster transfer of files or better web response time.

(2) my home page http://www.csm.ohiou.edu/kruse has pointers to a few
papers and presentations on the subject as well.  These may be of help.
There are many others who have written on this subject; they will hopefully
provide you other pointers.

(3) There is a branch at NASA Lewis that works these issues, with a home
page at http://sulu.lerc.nasa.gov/5610/5610.html that might be of help as
well.

TCP works over satellite links of all types.  Tomorrow's networks will have
links of all types (terrestrial, GEO, MEO, and LEO) in them.  Accurate
information is really important to design these hybrids correctly;
marketing hype and tricks won't do anyone any good in the long run.

Hans Kruse, Associate Professor and Director
McClure School of Communication Systems Management, Ohio University
9 S. College Street
Athens, OH 45701
614-593-4891 voice,  614-593-4889 fax,  hkruse1@ohiou.edu