Re: [Teas] Thoughts about draft-nsdt-teas-ietf-network-slice-definition and isolation

Joel Halpern Direct <jmh.direct@joelhalpern.com> Tue, 10 November 2020 00:01 UTC

To: Jeff Tantsura <jefftant.ietf@gmail.com>, teas@ietf.org
Cc: draft-nsdt-teas-ietf-network-slice-definition@ietf.org
From: Joel Halpern Direct <jmh.direct@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2020 19:01:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [Teas] Thoughts about draft-nsdt-teas-ietf-network-slice-definition and isolation

You raised the dedicated fiber question.
If one has an end-to-end system with multiple components, there are many
places where there simply will not be dedicated fiber.

More importantly, I see no way to meaningfully express "the customer
wants as much dedication as possible" in the interface we are
discussing.  Such a declaration will be dealt with in different ways by
different people / systems / adminstrations, meaning that it gives no
reliable behavior to the customer.

I agree that Isolation is not an SLO.   But if it is not an SLO, I do
not know how it fits with the rest of what the definitions draft lays out.

Yours,
Joel