Re: [Tools-discuss] RFCmarkup v1.28

Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com> Wed, 26 July 2006 18:46 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:49:34 +0100
From: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com>
To: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] RFCmarkup v1.28
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>, Tools Team Discussion <tools-discuss@ietf.org>

Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   So I've made a set of new changes to rfcmarkup, which should now
> be reflected in any htmlized documents retrieved from /html/... on
> the first tools server. (I haven't cleaned out the repository on
> the two other servers yet - when you test this, please go to
> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4321 etc., not to www2 or www3)
>
> What I've done is to serve a document which doesn't have any <h?/>
> tags to start with, but if the browser has javascript, I run a snippet
> which adds the <h?/> tags, on the theory that most browsers with java-
> script turned on will also have css which preserves the look-and
> feel of the result - also with the <h?/> tags added.  (I really should
> add an explicit check for css capability, but I'll leave that as a
> future refinement).
>
> Frank and Julian, especially:  Will you check that the result works
> for both of you - Frank should get a result which is back to what it
> was before last Saturday, while Julian should get a document which
> will let the Document Map plugin work, *and* preserves the look-and
> feel of pre-Saturday (except for the greyed-out page header/footers).
>
> Let me know whether this works for you...

This looks generally good in Firefox, but the fount size for <h1> in IE
(v6.0, XP SP2)  is very much too large.and is not the same as the body
test for all the other headers (~50% bigger for <h2> and  ~25% bigger
for <h3>).

Number of nits:
- the sample (RFC4321) has a title which runs to 2 lines - only the
first one goes into the <h1> - aesthetic rather than vital
- however an internet draft with a two line title does something
different  (something to do with the blank line?)- see
http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aoun-midcom-intrarealmcalls-00 -
here the second line of the title is turned into an <h2> (and is 'sort
of' left justified rather than centred - the span takes in the spaces on
the left of the title words.
- This draft doesn't get its headers put into <h*> at all:
http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aoun-middlebox-token-authentication-00
- (an unpleasant corner case)
http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aoun-mgcp-nat-package-02 has a
reference to a draft file in a section title (s9) and the algorithm
doesn't quite work on the table of contents  (it incorporates the leader
and the page number into the hyperlink)..  Need a pattern that allows
only a single non-trailing period perhaps?
(all this was looking for a draft or RFC with a very long section title
that spills onto two lines - finally found one...)
- s2.8 of
http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-problem-issue-statement-05 -
the second line of the title isn't in the <h3>
- A badly formed draft (missing the Expires: on the third line of the
header) produces some unexpected results:
http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v3-07. BTW idnits
does not complain about this.

I agree that the print preview selects the wrong scaling factor (80% in
Firefox and 75% in IE6) - 100% would be good but I don't know if you
have any control over this.

Regards,
Elwyn