Re: [Tools-discuss] RFCmarkup v1.28

Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com> Wed, 26 July 2006 19:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:37:21 +0200
From: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
To: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] RFCmarkup v1.28
Cc: Tools Team Discussion <tools-discuss@ietf.org>

Hi Elwyn,

Thanks for the feedback.

on 2006-07-26 20:49 Elwyn Davies said the following:

> This looks generally good in Firefox, but the fount size for <h1> in IE
> (v6.0, XP SP2)  is very much too large.and is not the same as the body
> test for all the other headers (~50% bigger for <h2> and  ~25% bigger
> for <h3>).

Hmm!!  That should not happen, given that IE 6.0 understands css.
I've made a change in the css, could you check this out again?

> Number of nits:
> - the sample (RFC4321) has a title which runs to 2 lines - only the
> first one goes into the <h1> - aesthetic rather than vital
> - however an internet draft with a two line title does something
> different  (something to do with the blank line?)- see
> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aoun-midcom-intrarealmcalls-00 -
> here the second line of the title is turned into an <h2> (and is 'sort
> of' left justified rather than centred - the span takes in the spaces on
> the left of the title words.

Actually, the difference you see is because I fixed the 2-line title problem
while you were testing, before you got to this draft ;-)

If you follow the link to the plain-text version of that particular draft,
you'll see that the second line is mis-aligned in the original, too.  I've
fixed the span taking in the spaces - it shouldn't do that.

> - This draft doesn't get its headers put into <h*> at all:
> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aoun-middlebox-token-authentication-00
> - (an unpleasant corner case)

Right.  Currently I ignore sections which don't start flush-left.  I
may try to fix this later.

> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aoun-mgcp-nat-package-02 has a
> reference to a draft file in a section title (s9) and the algorithm
> doesn't quite work on the table of contents  (it incorporates the leader
> and the page number into the hyperlink)..  Need a pattern that allows
> only a single non-trailing period perhaps?

Oh, bugger!  Right, I'll see what I can do about that one.

> (all this was looking for a draft or RFC with a very long section title
> that spills onto two lines - finally found one...)
> - s2.8 of
> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-problem-issue-statement-05 -
> the second line of the title isn't in the <h3>

Right.  I think I'm going to give up on this one - I think drafts that
lack a blank line between section title and section text may be just as
likely as having a very long section title...

> - A badly formed draft (missing the Expires: on the third line of the
> header) produces some unexpected results:
> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v3-07. BTW idnits
> does not complain about this.

Bah.  Rfcmarkup takes the "11" in "11 July 2005" to be a section number.
... And how the blip should it know that this isn't a section number?...

> I agree that the print preview selects the wrong scaling factor (80% in
> Firefox and 75% in IE6) - 100% would be good but I don't know if you
> have any control over this.

I've now set the font size to 10.5pt.  If I set it to 11pt the text goes
outside the default margins on A4 paper, at least on my Mac.

Remember that since the settings have to work for both A4 and Letter size
paper there will be more unused paper than if you could adjust for only
one of them...

Regards,

	Henrik