Re: [Tools-discuss] RFCmarkup v1.28

Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com> Thu, 27 July 2006 10:44 UTC

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:44:43 +0200
From: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
To: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] RFCmarkup v1.28
Cc: Tools Team Discussion <tools-discuss@ietf.org>

Hi Elwyn,

Thanks for more feedback;

on 2006-07-27 12:05 Elwyn Davies said the following:
> IE now looks fine - printing on both Firefox and IE looks good. BTW I
> realized that the 75% on IE is not how it scales the printing but is a
> way of zooming the on screen display of the preview. Doh!
>
> The product of a paranoid's breakfast:
>
> 1. http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3410 : The second item (2.2) that
> claims to be on page 4 in the ToC doesn't get a link (something to do
> with longish title and only one period in the leader?)

Right. Won't fix.

> 2.
> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aoun-middlebox-token-authentication-00:
> The section headers are now <h2> but the title is still body text. This
> one has 'Expires on'

Mmm.  Right.  Won't fix now (not trivial), but maybe later.

> 3. http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v3-07: (no
> 'Expires:' at all) - how about not looking for the title etc until after
> the second group of totally blank lines (or the first group that isn't
> at the start of the document)?

Can you put that in a regexp ;-) ?

The boldfaced 11 July is taken to be a section - I tried to require the
section numbers to contain a period, but had to revert that as too many
document have major section numbers without a period.

Currently the title is the first group of lines which are preceded by
a line which begins with "Category:" or ends in a year, then a blank
line.  I'll look at changing that to the pattern you suggest, for the
next version.

> 4. http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aoun-mgcp-nat-package-02: This
> is a very badly formatted draft.. you fixed the link in the ToC problem
> but it has the same problem as #2 above and thereafter the markup of
> section headers is semi-random. Sections 1, 2 and 3 miss out; the first
> three non-empty body text lines on p3 become a header.  Sections 3.x are
> found but not s4 onwards.  s4.x you would have difficulty with as they
> are indented. Horrible! I think I owe you a beer if you can canonicalize
> this one!

Actually, it seems you're looking at an old cached copy - after refreshing
here, this one looks pretty good too me, on all 3 servers.

> 5.
> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v3-07#section-3.3:
> Another horrid problem: This section contains a reference of the form
> [IPv6, Section 4.5].  The result is that the IPv6 reference is not
> turned into a link and Section 4.5 is turned into an internal link.

Ah. I see.  Yes, this is one of several variations of combination of
references and section numbers.  There are others I know of which I don't
handle.  I can start going through them, but don't expect full coverage
any time soon - the reason I haven't even started on these are that there
are a lot of variation...

> Just joking...
> It doesn't deal with RFC280 or RFC331 too well! I was looking to see if
> having 'draft' in the title confused the script (it didn't).

Heh.  I think I'll just accept failure on these two...

>  RFC1038
> exercises the upper reaches of the header level algorithm, and
> (slightly) surprisingly the document map isn't confused!

I'm setting the level to 6 even if it's above 6, which it is here
(document title + 6 levels of sections.)  This document was the
original reason why I added css styles for h7, h8, h9 -- the first time
I looked at this one, the section headers were in a tiny tiny font.
(It seems Firefox tries to handle at least <h7/>, but I've seen reports
that other browsers even crash on <h7/> or larger, so I'll be a good boy
and draw the line at <h6/>).

Regards,

	Henrik