Re: [Tools-discuss] RFCmarkup v1.28

Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com> Wed, 26 July 2006 20:24 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:27:33 +0100
From: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com>
To: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
Subject: Re: [Tools-discuss] RFCmarkup v1.28
Cc: Tools Team Discussion <tools-discuss@ietf.org>

Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> Hi Elwyn,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> on 2006-07-26 20:49 Elwyn Davies said the following:
>

>> This looks generally good in Firefox, but the fount size for <h1> in IE
>> (v6.0, XP SP2)  is very much too large.and is not the same as the body
>> test for all the other headers (~50% bigger for <h2> and  ~25% bigger
>> for <h3>).
>>

> Hmm!!  That should not happen, given that IE 6.0 understands css.
> I've made a change in the css, could you check this out again?

This seems to be fixed (even if I can't get rfc4321 to refresh on IE) -
rfc4320 is fine now and rfc4321 looks good on Firefox.

>> Number of nits:
>> - the sample (RFC4321) has a title which runs to 2 lines - only the
>> first one goes into the <h1> - aesthetic rather than vital
>> - however an internet draft with a two line title does something
>> different  (something to do with the blank line?)- see
>> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aoun-midcom-intrarealmcalls-00 -
>> here the second line of the title is turned into an <h2> (and is 'sort
>> of' left justified rather than centred - the span takes in the spaces on
>> the left of the title words.
>>

> Actually, the difference you see is because I fixed the 2-line title problem
> while you were testing, before you got to this draft ;-)
>
> If you follow the link to the plain-text version of that particular draft,
> you'll see that the second line is mis-aligned in the original, too.  I've
> fixed the span taking in the spaces - it shouldn't do that.

What about 3 line titles? rfc4319 ... sorry!

>> - This draft doesn't get its headers put into <h*> at all:
>> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aoun-middlebox-token-authentication-00
>> - (an unpleasant corner case)
>>

> Right.  Currently I ignore sections which don't start flush-left.  I
> may try to fix this later.

OK
>> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aoun-mgcp-nat-package-02 has a
>> reference to a draft file in a section title (s9) and the algorithm
>> doesn't quite work on the table of contents  (it incorporates the leader
>> and the page number into the hyperlink)..  Need a pattern that allows
>> only a single non-trailing period perhaps?
>>

> Oh, bugger!  Right, I'll see what I can do about that one.
>

>> (all this was looking for a draft or RFC with a very long section title
>> that spills onto two lines - finally found one...)
>> - s2.8 of
>> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-problem-issue-statement-05 -
>> the second line of the title isn't in the <h3>
>>

> Right.  I think I'm going to give up on this one - I think drafts that
> lack a blank line between section title and section text may be just as
> likely as having a very long section title...

Yes... I wouldn't complain too hard.  Section titles that long are just
wrong (he said, as editor of the draft in question :-))

>> - A badly formed draft (missing the Expires: on the third line of the
>> header) produces some unexpected results:
>> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v3-07. BTW idnits
>> does not complain about this.
>>

> Bah.  Rfcmarkup takes the "11" in "11 July 2005" to be a section number.
> ... And how the blip should it know that this isn't a section number?...

Cos it comes before the title ;-) .. Maybe we just ignore this one, fix
idnits and wrk with decent id's.

>> I agree that the print preview selects the wrong scaling factor (80% in
>> Firefox and 75% in IE6) - 100% would be good but I don't know if you
>> have any control over this.
>>

> I've now set the font size to 10.5pt.  If I set it to 11pt the text goes
> outside the default margins on A4 paper, at least on my Mac.
>
> Remember that since the settings have to work for both A4 and Letter size
> paper there will be more unused paper than if you could adjust for only
> one of them...

This looks better now.
I was on A4. I get 100% on Firefox but still nominally 75% on IE - but
the text is bigger and looks ok (strange).