[tram] Milestone 3: TURN server auto-discovery mechanism for enterprise and ISPs

Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca> Fri, 07 February 2014 14:28 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 09:28:09 -0500
From: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
To: "tram@ietf.org" <tram@ietf.org>
Subject: [tram] Milestone 3: TURN server auto-discovery mechanism for enterprise and ISPs

Current TURN server discovery is based on the presence of SRV and/or
NAPTR DNS records. These records are usually under the administrative
control of the application or service provider, not the enterprise or
the ISP on whose network the client is situated. Enterprises or ISPs
wishing to provide their own TURN server, in an attempt to reduce
so-called "triangle routing", need a new auto-discovery mechanism.

Candidate draft: TBD (I know people have been working on this)

IMHO this is also a top-priority milestone. We need to quickly have a
mechanism that people can implement in WebRTC browsers now, while there
is still frenetic development happening. I don't foresee actual
server-side deployment happening quickly though. But as soon as clients
are ready, any ISP or enterprise can deploy and immediately benefit.

I imagine that the solution will be fairly simple, spec- and
implementation-wise. So I think we can finish this very quickly once we
have a candidate draft. We just need authors. So I would target not long
after Toronto.

Simon
--
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca