RE: TRIGTRAN Security Considerations (was: RE: [Trigtran] TRIGTRAN Nextsteps ("let the games begin"))

"Spencer Dawkins" <sdawkins@cynetanetworks.com> Tue, 14 January 2003 15:15 UTC

Subject: RE: TRIGTRAN Security Considerations (was: RE: [Trigtran] TRIGTRAN Nextsteps ("let the games begin"))
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:09:19 -0600
From: Spencer Dawkins <sdawkins@cynetanetworks.com>
To: trigtran@ietf.org
Sender: trigtran-admin@ietf.org

Hi, John,

Oh, I'm SURE this text needs to be updated...

On this specific point (at the risk of designing the protocol in e-mail), there needs to be a "transport responses to triggers" section, and my going-in thought is that transports might use triggers to lengthen timeout values - but not repeatedly, or at least not "to infinity".

If I'm doing a nice, long file transfer on a wireless link, and (for some reason) it's interrupted for a significant number of RTTs, it would be nice for a wireline server to get triggers saying, "this isn't unexpected. We're seeing path strangeness, not (just) peer-host strangeness. If you're willing to hold the connection open, your peer host is likely to 'come back' soon".

This might put more of the responsibility for "giving up" at the application level.

What I think TRIGTRAN should NOT be doing, is sending a "not yet" trigger every measured RTT, or something insane like that.

This seems straightforward enough (send triggers once; if they don't arrive, they aren't required to be reliable anyway, and if we're losing packets on the trigger path, the transports can use their end-to-end mechanisms to figure out EXACTLY what they need to be doing).

So, I think the short answer to John's question is, "yes, that's exactly the kind of thing I'd hope TRIGTRAN triggers would be used for."

Spencer