TRIGTRAN Security Considerations (was: RE: [Trigtran] TRIGTRAN Nextsteps ("let the games begin"))

"Spencer Dawkins" <sdawkins@cynetanetworks.com> Mon, 13 January 2003 15:28 UTC

Subject: TRIGTRAN Security Considerations (was: RE: [Trigtran] TRIGTRAN Nextsteps ("let the games begin"))
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:30:13 -0600
From: Spencer Dawkins <sdawkins@cynetanetworks.com>
To: trigtran@ietf.org
Sender: trigtran-admin@ietf.org

Hi, Gorry,

What follows is not in RESPONSE to your thought-provoking e-mail, just on the same topic (so it doesn't address all the excellent questions you asked), but Carl and I had been thinking on the same topic, so - to get more points of view:

------------

  Preliminary Security Considerations for TRIGTRAN

  TRIGTRAN ("Triggers for Transport" is working on mechanisms
  to provide explicit notifications from edge routers to endpoint
  transport implementations across the Internet. More details are
  available at:

    http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/02nov/slides/trigtran-5.pdf/

  But, in a nutshell, the minimal TRIGTRAN architecture looks
  like this:

   +------+ +-----------------+   (Internet   +------+
   | Host | | TRIGTRAN Router |     goes      | Host |
   +------+ +-----------------+      here)    +------+
           X                                     X
     Sub-network Event -----------------> Notifies Transport
          Here                                  Here

            (taken from the Problem Statement I-D)

  The critical feature here is that the host receiving a TRIGTRAN
  trigger is across an arbitrary network topology from the TRIGTRAN
  edge router sending the trigger, and the host receiving the
  trigger has no previous trust relationship with the TRIGTRAN
  router. The host receiving the trigger then takes some
  transport-level action (sending a packet, retransmitting a
  packet, waiting for some period of time to transmit a packet,
  etc.).

  The transports would "figure out an event" eventually,
  given enough time. TRIGTRAN is intended to provide
  network-based hints that clue the transport in more quickly
  (where "quickly" is measured in RTTs, not in milliseconds).
  Since "link down" will probably be one of the triggers,
  end-to-end mechanisms cannot be used to send explicit
  notifications (since one of the ends isn't accessible).

  A security assessment for TRIGTRAN amounts to evaluating what
  impact a forged trigger can have on a host that uses the hints
  to deal with the respective event.  For example, we don't want
  TRIGTRAN to provide a mechanism for denial of service attacks,
  etc. (this should be obvious, but let's make it explicit).

  TRIGTRAN triggers are advisory in nature - they do not replace
  transport-level mechanisms (in the case of TCP, the receiver's
  ACK stream). If a transport gets a forged "link down" trigger,
  but continues to receive ACKs from the actually-reachable receiver,
  the reasonable action is to ignore the trigger, not the ACKs.
  If a transport gets a forged "link up" trigger, but does not
  receive ACKs from the actually-unreachable receiver, the transport
  would take its normal action for an unresponsive receiver (in the
  case of TCP, this would be RTO, retransmission, and slow start).

  The receiving host can use existing transport-level mechanisms
  to determine the validity of the trigger. Because TRIGTRAN triggers
  are advisory the host isn't required to act as if the events are real.
  Thus, we don't think a security association is required
  between the TRIGTRAN router and the host receiving triggers. If
  one is present, fine, but it's not required.

  The alternative, requiring the host to establish trust relationships
  with arbitrary routers in other administrative domains in order
  to receive triggers, seems to be overkill in this situation.

  What are we ignoring/overlooking, if we use this model?