RE: [Tsvwg] SCTP Checksum Change to the IESG

"Douglas Otis" <dotis@sanlight.net> Thu, 02 May 2002 06:48 UTC

From: Douglas Otis <dotis@sanlight.net>
To: tsvwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Tsvwg] SCTP Checksum Change to the IESG
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 23:25:46 -0700
Sender: tsvwg-admin@ietf.org

Scott,

While I agree with this sentiment, the introduction of a hardware
implementation requirement is new text in conflict with previously raised
concerns.  It appears Jonathan does not agree there is a need to allow
implementations where the packet is not modified during the checking
process.  This is a real problem.  This is true for hardware where an
unmodified packet allows far greater software compatibility and should be
the recommended approach.  I was happy with the draft prior to these last
minute changes that appeared without review.  I was not the one twiddling.
This is a wrong approach, if to standardize the hardware interface as is the
intent of this language.

Presenting an unmodified packet would allow an Alder scheme to be introduced
in software, as example, without any changes to existing code.  The same is
equally true for a software CRC algorithm.  The scheme, as defined now, will
require specialized code to handle such a situation.  The current
recommendation is clumsy and wrong.  More generalized language would be
acceptable such as- For hardware checking schemes, software MUST be able to
confirm the integrity of the packet and not rely exclusively on a status
bit.  An unmodified packet accomplishes this goal.  This added language has
compounded an inappropriate algorithm interpretation.

 -Doug