Re: [tsvwg] Publication has been requested for draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-registry-04

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Wed, 09 May 2018 08:14 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 09:13:46 +0100
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com>
CC: David Black <david.black@dell.com>, tsvwg-chairs <tsvwg-chairs@ietf.org>, tsvwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Publication has been requested for draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-registry-04

These request are all OK with me, and I have made the changes.

The recent thread on the TSVWG list has made me wonder again whether it
is possible for me to be slightly clearer about explaining the TOS
precedence bleaching - without drilling into all the detail. This has
always a nightmare to write concisely, but I think I may be able to do
better, and if you agree, I would also incorporate the slightly longer
replacement text below:

OLD:
An example is the need to assign a suitable recommended default
codepoint for the Lower Effort (LE) per-hop behavior (PHB)
[I-D.ietf-tsvwg-le-phb]. The LE PHB is designed to protect best-effort
(BE) traffic (packets forwarded with the default PHB) from LE traffic in
congestion situations, i.e., when resources become scarce, best-effort
traffic has precedence over LE traffic and may preempt it. The continued
presence of bleaching of the IP precedence field, setting the first
three bits of the former TOS byte to zero (i.e., zeroing the top three
bits of the DSCP) in deployed networks motivates the desire for the LE
PHB to use a DSCP with a zero value for the first three bits
[I-D.ietf-tsvwg-le-phb].

NEW:
An example is the need to assign a suitable recommended default
codepoint for the Lower Effort (LE) per-hop behavior (PHB)
[I-D.ietf-tsvwg-le-phb]. The LE PHB is designed to protect best-effort
(BE) traffic (packets forwarded with the default PHB) from LE traffic in
congestion situations, i.e., when resources become scarce, best-effort
traffic has precedence over LE traffic and is allowed to preempt it. The
continued presence of bleaching of the IP precedence field in deployed
networks can result in setting the first three bits of the former TOS
byte to zero (disabling any class-based flow management by routers
configured with TOS-based packet processing). There is a need to avoid
this remapping of the DSCP for the LE PHB by assiging a codepoint that
has a zero value in the first three bits [I-D.ietf-tsvwg-le-phb].
Furthermore, if the LE PHB were to have been assigned one of the
currently unused Pool 1 codepoints with a zero value in the first three
bits, any bleaching of the IP precedence field would result in other
(higher assurance) traffic being remapped to the assigned DSCP. This
remapping could then cause diffserv-marked traffic to receive an
unintentional LE treatment for the remainder of the Internet path. It is
therefore important to avoid the resulting priority inversion. The
absence of unassigned codepoints in Pool 1 that exhibit these important
properties motivates assigning a Pool 3 codepoint as the default that is
recommended for use with this PHB.
---

- Your thoughts please, I'll hold publishing the new revision until I
hear from you,

Gorry