[Unwanted-trackers] John Scudder's No Objection on charter-ietf-dult-00-05: (with COMMENT)

John Scudder via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 15 February 2024 14:55 UTC

From: John Scudder via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: dult-chairs@ietf.org, unwanted-trackers@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 06:55:46 -0800
Subject: [Unwanted-trackers] John Scudder's No Objection on charter-ietf-dult-00-05: (with COMMENT)

John Scudder has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-dult-00-05: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-dult/

COMMENT:

- In "The full system consists of three major subsystems" it's not obvious what
"full system" is being talked about -- the pre-existing tracker system, or the
TBD DULT system. The subsequent sentence, "These three subsystems have
interfaces that are relevant to unwanted tracking", implies it's the
pre-existing system, but I'm dubious that those three points define the major
subsystems of those networks as currently built. For one thing, the list
completely omits the intended use case of letting the owner find their keys.

- "To address this threat" in the third paragraph -- presumably "this threat"
refers back to paragraph 1's "These accessories can be misused to track another
person’s location without their knowledge", but the interpolation of paragraph
2 makes that unclear. I suggest spelling out what threat you're talking about
or otherwise disambiguating.

- I agree that the reference to "gender-based violence experts" should be
retained but worded in a way that doesn't seem to exclude the possibility of
consulting other experts as well.

NITS:

- “unwanted tracked detection” should presumably be "unwanted tracker
detection” although better still "detection of unwanted trackers" since then
there's no ambiguity about what "unwanted" is modifying.

- "tag" is maybe a little too much in-crowd jargon. Define or better still,
reword.

- “create new vector” should be "create a new vector" or "create new vectors"

- The wording "IETF 6lo WG and Bluetooth SIG" can make it sound as though the
Bluetooth SIG is an IETF group. Easy fix: "Bluetooth SIG and IETF 6lo WG".