Re: URL internationalization!

Dan Oscarsson <Dan.Oscarsson@trab.se> Fri, 21 February 1997 15:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:24:20 +0100
From: Dan Oscarsson <Dan.Oscarsson@trab.se>
To: fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu, yergeau@alis.com
Subject: Re: URL internationalization!
Cc: uri@bunyip.com
Sender: owner-uri@bunyip.com

> À 11:54 20-02-97 -0800, Roy T. Fielding a écrit :
> >It would help a great deal if advocates of localization did not use
> >the term internationalization; you are just creating unnecessary heat
> >instead of solving the problem at hand.
>
> In current terminology, as testified by a great many books and other
> documents on the subject, internationalization is a process by which an
> application, system, etc. is modified so that it can later support
> localization by specialization instead of by extension.  You make the
> system support multiple charsets (or a universal one), and use one (or part
> of the universal one) in each locale.  You establish a generic message
> mechanism, and use it with specific messages in each language.  And so on...

I think this is where some of the confusion is. It is the possibility
to localise an URL that many of us want. And many of us think that
internationalisation means that. That is why we don't think
ASCII = internationalisation, because it cannot be localised without
some more requirements (like how to encode localised URLs in ascii).

> And I think this is very much the thrust of Martin's proposals:
> internationalize URLs, so that they can reliably and deterministically be
> localized anywhere.

Yes, that is what many of us want.

   Dan Oscarsson