Re: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-01.txt

Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi> Thu, 22 December 2011 10:36 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:17:19 +0200
From: Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Cc: urn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-01.txt

Hello all,

Plenty of comments below (sorry).

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>> We have not restarted the discussion of what URNs can be applied to. In
>> 7.1 (bottom of the page 16) we say that URNs serve as identifiers for
>> concrete and abstract objects that have network accessible instances
>> and/or metadata. In short, URNs must be actionable one way or another;
>> resolution should provide some kind of result.
>
> Really? As far as I can see, this idea is not present in RFC 2141. Has
> something changed since then that would compel us to say that URNs must
> be actionable in the way you describe?

I don't think that anything has changed (or it wasn't my intention).
 From my point of view, if a resource has a network accessible instance
(or manifestation, as we librarians call them) and/or metadata related
to these instances, then URLs will provide temporary access, and URNs
something more: persistent access to the resource or surrogates such as
descriptive metadata. I used the term actionable to refer to anything
that the URN resolution can deliver.

>> This specification is OK, especially if we keep in mind that the
>> abstract object itself can be a metadata record. For instance, some
>> national libraries routinely describe two variants of a printed book
>> (paperback & hardcover, for instance) in the same metadata record. If
>> record has an NBN, one may argue that it identifies the record, not the
>> books. From the URN resolution process point of view this makes sense,
>> because the URN will resolve to the metadata record.
>>
>> As the RFC2141bis already says, URNs may also be assigned to works,
>> which are abstract objects having 0-n manifestations (there are plenty
>> of works that have been lost, and many have reached us in truncated form).
>
> Juha, that is all quite interesting. Can you propose text changes that
> would incorporate those insights?

Yes. We might add something like this into 2141bis or elsewhere:

Resources identified with URNs may be abstract (e.g. works such as
Shakespeare's Hamlet) or embodied in some physical form (PDF/A version
of the Finnish translation of Hamlet). An abstract entity may have 0-n
digital manifestations in the Internet (and other kind of manifestations
in the physical world). Since any digital manifestation will be rendered
unusable in a few decades because file formats get outdated, all digital
manifestations of a work should be linked to one another using their
URNs. This will help the user to find a usable version, even if the
identified manifestation can no longer be interpreted by the software at
hand.

Resources may be simple (a single file or a fragment thereof) or complex
(a set of inter-related files). For large sets surrogates may replace
the delivery of the actual resources. Generally, services available
shall depend both on the identified resources and the target systems.
For works lacking physical representations in the Internet, descriptive
metadata and location information can be provided. A long term
preservation system can supply technical metadata about the file format
of the identified manifestation of the work. A publisher's digital asset
management system may be able to supply rights metadata about the
identified resource, even if the resource itself is not accessible. (In
the future, URN resolution services should enable the users to pinpoint
the kind of metadata they need.)

>> In chapter 2 <query> is discussed in the bottom of page 9 & top of the
>> page 10. We should refer here to RFC2483 (which specifies the resolution
>> services) and use an example which is based on an existing service. The
>> current example is a bit puzzling; for the time being it is not possible
>> to specify the type of metadata wanted because no such service exists.
>
> Could you clarify whether your statement refers to that particular
> example or to resolution services as such?

I refer to the example in 2141bis. But my comment also makes the point
that we should revise the URN services in such a way that the user can
specify the type of metadata desired (the point made above in
parenthesis).

>> A note should be added, saying that the services nailed down in RFC2483
>> are not sufficient. For instance, it is not possible to specify what
>> type of metadata is needed (descriptive / administrative / structural)
>> and in which format (there are plenty of formats for descriptive
>> metadata, such as MARC21 or Dublin Core). RFC2483 refers to URC (Uniform
>> Resource Characteristics) which was never implemented in practice. (As
>> an aside, there are plenty of other reasons for updating that RFC.)
>
> Isn't that a matter for RFC 2483 (or 2483bis), not the core URN spec?
> There is no necessary connection between URNs and resolution, I think.

There is no need to add the note if revision of RFC 2483 is added to the
charter of the URNBIS WG ;-). My intention is to complete the first
version of 2483bis in January and send it as a private contribution.

URNs and resolution services are parts of the URN system. Without
services URN assignment would not make sense. But technically the two
are not interconnected since we can keep on adding new services without
tweaking the URNs themselves. In the resolution process the service
request must never be part of the URN itself (although we can use
<query> to piggyback service parameters).

>> On page 10, two options for supporting fragment identifiers are
>> specified. I am not sure this dichotomy works. Method a) (fragment
>> identifiers are assigned individually) is of course OK. But if fragment
>> identifiers are generally applicable (method b), then there is no need
>> to repeat the specification at the namespace level. Assuming that
>> fragments can be used with PDF documents, then the same principles
>> should apply across all namespaces which do approve fragment usage.
>
> Please clarify. Do you mean the syntax of fragment identifiers, or the
> semantics? I think the semantics differ based on the media type of the
> resource that might be retrieved, as we've discussed.

If a file format (for instance, PDF) has well undertood rules as regards
URI fragment usage, then these rules should apply in all namespaces
where identifiers can be assigned to PDF fragments. In the namespace
registration request all that is needed is to tell that fragment
identification is allowed.

> See Section 3.5 of RFC 3986:
>
>    The fragment's format and resolution is therefore
>    dependent on the media type [RFC2046] of a potentially retrieved
>    representation, even though such a retrieval is only performed if the
>    URI is dereferenced.

As an aside, I don't know how far we can get with media types (2046)
only. Fragment usage is dependent on file formats. Rules for text/plain
are not the same as the rules for OOXML text documents. And the
identified resources may encompass multiple media types; for instance,
an e-book in EPUB 3.0 may contain the text of the book itself, sound
recording of an interview of the author, an trailer of a film based on
the book, and so on. It remains to be seen how such bundles will be
identified (although my gut feeling is that each EPUB 3 book may consume
a whole set of identfiers, one for its each constituent part).

>> Second, most standard identifiers have well known syntax. ISSN has 8
>> characters, ISBN either 10 or 13, and ISTC 16. Parsing urn:issn is easy;
>> after 8 characters you are done, even if the next character is not from
>> the excluded set. Any namespace specific rules for parsing and lexical
>> equivalence must be expressed in the namespace registration.
>
> How is this matter *not* addressed by Appendix C of RFC 3986?

Appendix C is based on the idea that some kind of delimiting characters
are used. I do admit that this will often be the case. But this does not
need to happen. For instance, somebody may add a home made fragment into
URN:ISBN. Such fragment should not be there, but no method described in
Appendix C now would enable us to drop it.

If there are well understood rules on how NSS should look like in a
given namespace (examples of this include urn:issn or urn:isbn), then we
can parse namespace specific strings in ways not foreseen in RFC 3986.
Not only do we always know where the string ends, we can also check if
the string is correct (if the identifier contains a check digit).

>> In chapter 5. (top of the page 15), examples should include <query> and
>> <fragment>. As the former is not part of the URN, <query> must be
>> ignored in the analysis, while <fragment> must not.
>
> Do you mean that all of the examples should include those components, or
> that some examples should be added?

I mean that examples with query and fragment should be added.

>> Terminological comment
>>
>> We speak (almost) interchangeably about objects which have instances, or
>> resources which have versions. We may also refer either to resource
>> characteristics or object metadata, or use library related concepts of
>> work, expression and manifestation.
>>
>> Consolidation of the terminology used would make the documents easier to
>> understand. I suggest that we carry out such a task between the authors
>> before the next versions of these I-Ds are published.
>
> That sounds like a good idea. Do you have a plan for releasing the next
> version of the specification?

No dates have been fixed yet. I should be able to send revised versions
of 3187 and 3188 to Alfred Hönes quite soon (that being the first
priority), but we have not discussed when he would be able to publish
them and the next version of 2141bis.

At this stage it would be highly useful to get feedback from other
people on the list. I do recognize that we are just revising existing
documents, and the revisions we have made should not be controversial,
but actually confirming that the texts are fine would give us a more
solid basis to move on - and show to the IETF that the work relevant.
And it would be even better to receive criticism to help us in improving
the documents.

Best regards,

Juha