Re: [urn] Of RFC3187bis, RFC3188bis and namespace registrations in general

Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi> Thu, 22 December 2011 12:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 14:04:21 +0200
From: Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Cc: "urn@ietf.org" <urn@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [urn] Of RFC3187bis, RFC3188bis and namespace registrations in general

Hello,

Issue tracker has been actively (and I think productively) used in the
IRI group. So I am in favour of this suggestion, in principle.

In practice isolating and formulating the issues can be complicated to
those of us (including myself) who have no first hand experience of such
working method. Perhaps IETF veterans could extract a few tangible
issues from the discussions we've had on the list of late. Moreover, I
would rather not formulate the issues myself since IETF folks may have
more objective view on problems that still need to be solved.

There are cases in which the document level (small) issues and
architectural principles we have discussed are intertwined. For
instance, if we agree that URNs can be applied to works, then we should
also outline a model of how works and their manifestations are connected
to one another, and derive some conclusions as regards what kind of
impact this model may have to URN services.

Of course we could also start the discussion from the top, agree on a
model and then start deriving practical conclusions from there. But this
approach would require more faith than the bottom - top -one.

Juha

--

  Juha Hakala
  Senior advisor, standardisation and IT

  The National Library of Finland
  P.O.Box 15 (Unioninkatu 36, room 503), FIN-00014 Helsinki University
  Email juha.hakala@helsinki.fi, tel +358 50 382 7678