[urn] Of RFC3187bis, RFC3188bis and namespace registrations in general

Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi> Thu, 13 October 2011 11:22 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:22:18 +0300
From: Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi>
To: "urn@ietf.org" <urn@ietf.org>
Subject: [urn] Of RFC3187bis, RFC3188bis and namespace registrations in general

Hello,

I have written updated versions of

* draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn
* draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn

Some editorial help will be needed to publish them as Internet drafts;
what I have now is two XML texts that need to be polished/converted to
I-Ds. But I can send them either to the list (if that is OK) or anybody
who is interested to review them.

Since these texts rely on unpublished new version of rfc2141bis that
myself and Alfred Hoenes have been working on, I'd rather wait until the
next version of rfc2141bis has been made available before publishing
them as I-Ds. But the WG is, like Peter pointed out in his message a
week ago, behind schedule. And as the fact that we have been working on
new versions of the I-Ds has not been made clear in the messages sent to
the list, it is easy to get an impression that nothing much is happening
in this particular WG. So if need be I am prepared to make some
shortcuts here.

Some comments concerning these namespace registrations and namespace
registration process in general.

I have taken into account the discussions on the list, especially as
regards <fragment>. For ISBN this was trivial, since ISBN standard does
not allow <fragment> usage. For NBN this was more complicated; there are
three different ways in which fragments can be dealt with within that
namespace.

And this serves as an introduction to the first generic point, which is
that the difficulty of writing a (decent) namespace registration has an
inverse relation to the level of establishment the namespace has. ISBN
is based on an international standard and it has been in production
almost 40 years. It is easy to write a namespace registration to it,
provided that the standard is not heavily modified and assignment
practices do not change. No such changes are imminent in the case of ISBN.

It is more difficult to supply an accurate NBN namespace registration.
We have fairly good idea of who uses URN:NBN and for what purposes, but
still the scope is not self evident. Unlike the previous versions, the
I-D I completed today explicitly allows NBN assignment to works (things
that only exist in Plato's world of ideas, such as "Hamlet"). These
URN:NBNs will be resolved to work level metadata, which should include
links to manifestations of the work. ISBNs can not be assigned to works;
there is another identifier (ISTC) for that purpose.

If you dislike the extension of the URN coverage to works, please
discuss this topic on the list. For me, works may play a central role in
the URN resolution since they are persistent (they are abstract entities
that never change) whereas manifestations of digital resources are
technology dependent and will not live long. But work level metadata is
the bedrock to which we will be able to link all manifestations (and
related works such as translations) related to a single work.

I can't recall if the scope of the URN system as a whole has ever been
formally specified. This issue is a bit complicated since the scope of
the URN is the sum of all scopes of the identifiers that have a URN
namespace. It only takes one very large namespace such as UUID to cover
almost everything. But it might still be useful to discuss this topic,
in order to see if there is a consensus among the list subscribers.

Going back to NBN after this diversion, lots of things that are dictated
by the base standard in the ISBN namespace, had to be written into the
NBN namespace registration in order to make sure the users have an
accurate enough idea of how to utilize URN:NBNs.

There are also namespaces where there seems to be very little control,
that is, basically anyone can use them to identify anything at any time.
At least for a librarian like myself identifier assignment should not be
organised like this. UUID has been mentioned before as an example of
namespace which may require (local) control mechanisms beyond the
namespace registration to function well. These URNs may fulfill the
basic syntactic requirement of being globally unique, but beyond that
these namespaces cannot guarantee much, although there may be islands of
reliable resolution within them.

As far as I am concerned, when a namespace registration is based on an
international identifier standard such as ISBN, the RFC can / should be
put on standard track. I am less certain what to do with NBN-like
semi-established namespace registrations. At least IETF should take a
good look at the communities behind them.

I am not sure (without checking e.g. how URN:UUIDs work in practice) if
UUID-like namespaces are really useful. I doubt if the identified
resources themselves, or anything meaningful their URNs might resolve
to, will be in existence for long (from the national library point of
view, meaning several decades or even centuries). In the worst case
there may eventually be many low-quality namespaces where most URNs will
not live much longer than URLs or cool URIs. Such namespaces might
eventually undermine the value of the URN system as a whole.

I suppose that all this boils down to the question of control. Up to now
IETF has operated on the basis of trust; as namespace registrations are
informal RFCs they have not been (I suppose) scrutinized. Whether the
level of control needs to be heightened is hard to say without making
some kind of empirical check.

Best regards,

Juha
--

  Juha Hakala
  Senior advisor, standardisation and IT

  The National Library of Finland
  P.O.Box 15 (Unioninkatu 36, room 503), FIN-00014 Helsinki University
  Email juha.hakala@helsinki.fi, tel +358 50 382 7678