Re: [v6ops] Happy Eyeballs/Eardrums and SIP

"Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net> Mon, 07 March 2011 21:47 UTC

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 22:48:20 +0100
To: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Happy Eyeballs/Eardrums and SIP

7 mar 2011 kl. 21.26 skrev Simon Perreault:

> On 03/07/2011 03:06 PM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>> Please tell me how Ice solves the issue of a phone calling a SIP domain with both A and AAAA records for the first selected host.
>> The proxy or the UA will try to contact first over one connection, time out after T1*64 and then maybe retry.
>>
>> As far as I know ICE handles media, but not the signalling. But I may be misunderstanding something.
>
> You're right. Dual-stack for signalling is handled by sip-outbound.
>
> This is a gold mine:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sipping-v6-transition

SIP-outbound is between the UA and the first proxy/b2bua, right?

So if Edvina.net's proxy calls viagenie's proxy - can't we stumble on the same issue there?
My proxy can't handle open connections to all proxys I might be able to call... ;-)

Sorry for being persistant, but I have a feeling we're not done yet. I'd like to be convinced about the opposite :-)

So far, the responses I get on SIP/IPv6 migration point to Turn, SIP outbound and ICE. Most of the UA's and proxys I'm using haven't got that set of solutions. It will take time until we get there. Maybe IPv6 can add more pressure on developers to implement these new functions. I am afraid they will quickly install b2bua's or SBCs to handle the issue instead and then we're back two steps instead of moving forward...

/O