Re: [v6ops] Happy Eyeballs and SIP

"Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net> Tue, 08 March 2011 09:57 UTC

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:58:42 +0100
To: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Happy Eyeballs and SIP

8 mar 2011 kl. 08.53 skrev Dan Wing:

> [...]
Turn is part of the whole IPv6 migration scenario according to the soon-to-become-RFC.

> However, industry experience with IPv6 on the Internet shows that
> we cannot rely on the "we both have an IPv6 address, therefore we
> have connectivty" assumption.  There are IPv6 islands (on purpose
> or on accident) which are permanent or temporary (failure of a
> link or a router), and because IPv4 is predominant the IPv6 failure
> is not immediately noticed or corrected -- but impacts users
> that support IPv6.
Fully agree - that's why I'm insisting on the happy eyeballs approach :-)

More info about IPv6 and SIP on http://edvina.net/sipv6 and http://www.facebook.com/sipv6 for those who wants to follow, help or point out my mistakes in thoughts! I appreciate all feedback.

Cheers
/O