Re: [v6ops] Happy Eyeballs and SIP

"Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net> Mon, 07 March 2011 22:02 UTC

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 23:03:39 +0100
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Happy Eyeballs and SIP

7 mar 2011 kl. 13.51 skrev <mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com>:

> Dear Olle,
>
> For the SIP case, if you don't need connectivity checks (e.g., closed networks, which is in France the majority of SIP traffic) you can just use the ALTC attribute defined in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-mmusic-altc-01.
That is a simple fix for the media issue - and something I think developers can easily implement. We still have the issue with signalling and registrations.

> In case connectivity checks are needed, a variant of the happy eyeballs for SIP (called Happy Eardrums) has been proposed in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-dispatch-v6-migration-00 but still you need to be sure you IPv4 connectivity is working ;-).
Will look at this tomorrow... :-)

Thanks for the ALTC proposal. I am a bit hesitant to the ICE/TURN/SIP-outbound combo, it will take a long time to convince developers and the market to implement that package...

/O

> Cheers,
> Med

---
* Olle E Johansson - oej@edvina.net
* Cell phone +46 70 593 68 51, Office +46 8 96 40 20, Sweden