RE: New Version Notification for draft-jiang-v6ops-incremental-cgn

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Wed, 20 May 2009 13:38 UTC

Subject: RE: New Version Notification for draft-jiang-v6ops-incremental-cgn
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 06:37:41 -0700
From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com>
Cc: Rémi Després <remi.despres@free.fr>, Sheng Jiang <shengjiang@huawei.com>, v6ops@ops.ietf.org, guoseu@huawei.com, brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com, "Fleischman, Eric" <eric.fleischman@boeing.com>, "Russert, Steven W" <steven.w.russert@boeing.com>
Sender: owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org

Mark,

I must apologize to you and to the list for inappropriate
non-technical content directed toward you in an earlier
message. That said, I believe the following technical
content merits consideration.

For the 6rd prefix discovery, what you are suggesting is
simply a stateless IPv6 prefix delegation. It is stateless
in the sense that the customer need only discover the
operator's /32 or larger prefix, and then the customer
can self-assign its own IPv6 prefix based on its IPv4
address. This can be done as a DHCPv4 option, or if
link-local IPv6 is available it can also be done as a
DHCPv6 option. But, stateless IPv6 prefix delegation
is really what it is.

For 6rd router unicast/anycast address discovery, that
function would be identical to the potential router list
(PRL) discovery mechanisms of ISATAP/VET. Indeed, 6rd is
nothing more than ISATAP/VET with many of the features
removed. A worthwhile idea to consider is to combine
the 6rd stateless prefix delegation (which AFAICT is
its primary contribution) with the already defined
mechanisms of ISATAP and VET.

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com