Re: [v6ops] EIGRP and the Design Choices draft

Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net> Sat, 16 May 2015 12:56 UTC

Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 14:56:24 +0200
From: Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net>
To: "Ackermann, Michael" <MAckermann@bcbsm.com>
Cc: v6ops list <v6ops@ietf.org>, Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] EIGRP and the Design Choices draft

Ackermann, Michael wrote:
> As perhaps one of the individuals responsible for this idea.   I realize EIGRP is proprietary protocol and therefore possibly not appropriate for IETF consideration.
> But the reason I would even ask, is that EIGRP deployment within Enterprise/Corporate Networks, is nearly ubiquitous.   These are the same large networks that need guidance and motivation to get serious about IPv6 deployment.   Optimal configuration of the primary routing protocol, in dual stack environments,  is likely to be a significant success factor.   Providing related information and experiences could give us E/C Networks one less reason to delay IPv6 deployments, which is what most of us are doing currently.
> So although I understand the potential inappropriateness,  please consider this a call for help from those of us trying to evangelize IPv6 in corporate networks.
+1

IMHO Having the IETF recommending proprietary protocols is entirely
different from documenting operational experience of whether they will
work nicely together with IETF standard protocols or not, and/or how to
migrate to/ introduce said "standard track" solutions in place of the
proprietary one.

My most recent project just turned off the last EIGRP connection to a
particular data centre (replaced with eBGP), almost twenty years after I
first introduced EIGRP there ..... and I know there's plenty of EIGRP
still around elsewhere.