Re: [v6ops] Heads up

Joel Jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Tue, 09 November 2010 06:19 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 14:18:16 +0800
From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
To: Ed Jankiewicz <edward.jankiewicz@sri.com>
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Heads up

On 11/9/10 2:03 PM, Ed Jankiewicz wrote:
> Cisco posted a sad/funny take on IPv4 exhaustion, including the quote
> "how ugly?  LORD OF THE FLIES UGLY!"

If it's Lord of the Flies, kill the pig and be done with it, the ship
isn't coming.

I kind of doubt it frankly, we a have business(s) to run and the fact
that we're going to run out of ipv4 addresses isn't going to stop that.
Some of the measures are nasty little stopgaps which are going to cost
us money now and again in the future when we have to pull them out.
Mostly however it's just about spending the money to insure the
continued growth of our enterprise.

Engaging in some merchantilist death spiral associated with the
remaining pool of free ip addresses or, securing resources post runnout
is not in my playbook.