[VCARDDAV] vCard 4 - let's publish

Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name> Mon, 27 September 2010 13:52 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:53:25 -0400
From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
To: CardDAV <vcarddav@ietf.org>
Subject: [VCARDDAV] vCard 4 - let's publish

Hi folks,
At this time my feeling is that we should go ahead with publication of
vcard 4.0 (and the XML spec) as-is. These documents have been in
development and review for several years now and everyone has had a chance
to comment (of course IETF last call is still to be done so an opportunity
to comment further naturally exists).

vCard 4 is based on the well-founded technology of earlier vCard
specifications. It represents a comprehensive solution to contact
information, and not just personal contacts (e.g., see the recent draft on
calendar resource information that adds vCard properties specific to the
calendaring process). It now has easy extensibility built-in, via IANA
registrations, so new properties, for e.g., social networking, are easy to
define and add by consensus.

I do believe that we should help other groups define simple mappings
between their formats and vCard. At this point I do not believe that is a
major effort - certainly not one that should hold up vCard 4 at this time.

So I would urge the chairs and ADs to move our working group documents
along the standards process at this time. We can continue to work with OMA
and W3C through liaisons and their participation in this open IETF working
group.

--
Cyrus Daboo