Re: [vnrg] Review of draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01.txt

"Sangjin Jeong" <sjjeong@etri.re.kr> Thu, 10 June 2010 05:03 UTC

From: Sangjin Jeong <sjjeong@etri.re.kr>
To: Didier Colle <didier.colle@intec.UGent.be>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:03:00 +0900
Comment: ??, u-??,
Cc: vnrg@irtf.org, Martin.Stiemerling@neclab.eu
Subject: Re: [vnrg] Review of draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01.txt

Dear Didier,

Agree. I will revise the paragraph.

> > - Section 1, page 3, bullet list: how does this related to VNs?
> > - Section 1.1: too narrow for VN and it mixes VNs with programmable
> networks.
> >

> Euh... well, to me programmability is a key requirement for virtual
> networks. Perhaps programmability should not be mixed in section 1.1,
> but to my understanding it is missing from the requirements section 3.

I think that programmability is not a mandatory for virtual networks, but
virtual networks may promote programmability in network elements. However, I
agree with you that programmability is important and closely related virtual
networks.

> > - Section 2: First para: de-ossification may be one motivation but is in
> IMHO not the motiviation.
> > - Section 2: VNs are not necessarily programmable networks.
> >

> Again I would not exclude programmability from the requirements.
> When having a Software-Defined Radio infrastructure, it should be
> possible to create SDR virtual network instances.
> When having an infrastructure based on NetFPGA-alike hardware, it should
> be possible to create FPGA-programmable virtual network instances (e.g.,
> part of the FPGA footprint).
>
> > - Section 3: The requirements are too high-level. It would be good to get
> more detailed requirements and where (from what system) these requirements
> are.
> >

> Some thoughts:
> * A system managing the virtual instances is needed.
> * The infrastructure should provide a standardized interface/api to such
> system.
> * An interface between that mgmt system and the user: giving user
> ABSTRACTED info on capabilities of the infrastructure over which he
> wants to create a virtual instance (e.g., is it programmable, or do you
> have only a limited number of combinations of "lego bricks"?)
> Information on the config/mgmt interface of the virtual network
> (element) instance(s), ... information on the subset of resources that
> were assigned to a virtual network instance (e.g., a virtual network
> instance might have been assigned a certain set of VLAN-IDs that he only
> he can use)
> * Enforcement of isolation
> * Enforcement of performance guarantees

I agree with your investigation regarding VN requirements above. I will
incorporate your requirement inputs into Section 3.

Regards,
Sangjin

> Kind regards,
>
> Didier
>
> > - Section 4: It's too high-level. A good use case would describe a VN use
> case and the resulting challenges and requirements
> >
> > I personally do not yet see this document to be the RG problem statement >
draft at this point of time.

> > The draft misses some important points:
> > - what are some use cases you have in mind (system and what it does)
> >   - e.g., testbed virtualization, operator-scale, Internet-scale, etc?
> > - what components are you using
> - how do these components interact
> - what about the existing work, e.g., VPNs, L2 link bundling technologies,
virtual routers
> - what are the problems?
>
> In general: I do not yet see that this draft is really a problem statement.
It makes a start and its worth keep working on it, but needs more thoughts and
discussions.