Re: [vnrg] Review of draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01.txt

Didier Colle <didier.colle@intec.UGent.be> Tue, 08 June 2010 11:19 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 13:19:57 +0200
From: Didier Colle <didier.colle@intec.UGent.be>
To: Martin Stiemerling <Martin.Stiemerling@neclab.eu>
Cc: vnrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [vnrg] Review of draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01.txt

Dear Martin, all,

My two cents in this discussion.

Martin Stiemerling wrote:
> [writing as individual RG member and not as chair]
>
> Dear all,
>
> Here is a brief review of draft-shin-virtualization-meta-arch-01.txt.
>
> - Section 1, 1st paragraph: this describes abstraction but not virtualization.

Would you then say that abstraction is a key tool to realizing
virtualization?
And what would then be definition of "virtualization"? E.g., creating
"virtual things/instances"? To my feeling, "virtualization" means
creating "virtual things" by "abstracting away the real things
(infrastructure)".
Hmm... this might become a pretty "artificial" discussion...

Although I tend to agree with the text that virtualization bottom-line
always boils down to abstraction of the physical infrastructure, I
disagree with the statement in the text: "... or end users can interact
with those resources WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS."
* For example, in an IP/WDM scenario the overlaid IP network(s) is(/are)
virtual networks but still the IP routing protocols running in
this(/these) virtual IP networks needs to be aware of possible SRLGs.
Thus "without knowledge" does not seem correct to me, "with limited
ABSTRACTED knowledge" seems more appropriate to me.
* Is this compliant with the statement in section 1.1 "When combined
with programmability feature in network elements, USERS of virtual
networks CAN PROGRAM the network elements on any layers FROM PHYSICAL
LAYER to application layer according to users' requirements." How do you
program the physical layer WITHOUT KNOWING ANYTHING about that physical
layer?

> - Section 1, page 3, bullet list: how does this related to VNs?
> - Section 1.1: too narrow for VN and it mixes VNs with programmable networks.

Euh... well, to me programmability is a key requirement for virtual
networks. Perhaps programmability should not be mixed in section 1.1,
but to my understanding it is missing from the requirements section 3.

> - Section 2: First para: de-ossification may be one motivation but is in IMHO not the motiviation.
> - Section 2: VNs are not necessarily programmable networks.

Again I would not exclude programmability from the requirements.
When having a Software-Defined Radio infrastructure, it should be
possible to create SDR virtual network instances.
When having an infrastructure based on NetFPGA-alike hardware, it should
be possible to create FPGA-programmable virtual network instances (e.g.,
part of the FPGA footprint).

> - Section 3: The requirements are too high-level. It would be good to get more detailed requirements and where (from what system) these requirements are.

Some thoughts:
* A system managing the virtual instances is needed.
* The infrastructure should provide a standardized interface/api to such
system.
* An interface between that mgmt system and the user: giving user
ABSTRACTED info on capabilities of the infrastructure over which he
wants to create a virtual instance (e.g., is it programmable, or do you
have only a limited number of combinations of "lego bricks"?)
Information on the config/mgmt interface of the virtual network
(element) instance(s), ... information on the subset of resources that
were assigned to a virtual network instance (e.g., a virtual network
instance might have been assigned a certain set of VLAN-IDs that he only
he can use)
* Enforcement of isolation
* Enforcement of performance guarantees

Kind regards,

Didier

> - Section 4: It's too high-level. A good use case would describe a VN use case and the resulting challenges and requirements
>
> I personally do not yet see this document to be the RG problem statement draft at this point of time.
>
> The draft misses some important points:
> - what are some use cases you have in mind (system and what it does)
>   - e.g., testbed virtualization, operator-scale, Internet-scale, etc?
> - what components are you using
> - how do these components interact
> - what about the existing work, e.g., VPNs, L2 link bundling technologies, virtual routers
> - what are the problems?
>
> In general: I do not yet see that this draft is really a problem statement. It makes a start and its worth keep working on it, but needs more thoughts and discussions.
>
>   Martin
>

> martin.stiemerling@neclab.eu
>
> NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
> NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014

Didier Colle
Ghent University - IMEC - IBBT
Department of Information Technology (INTEC)
Gaston Crommenlaan 8 bus 201, B-9050 Gent (Ledeberg)
Email: didier.colle@intec.UGent.be
MSN: didiercolle@hotmail.com
Skype: didiercolle
Tel. +32 9 331 4970